NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost my 2nd anchor today - they must get stuck on a log or something - yes i did do the extra tie that breaks off and you get to pull from the bottom but it would not break - tomorrow i`ll buy my 3rd - any suggestion`s ????

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I don't know much about different types of anchors, I don't use them much. I can feel your pain, though... I just lost my 2nd trailer hub assembly in three months. :confused:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If you are on a boat you might want to invest in a rebar anchor. The tines will bend with a hard steady pull. "Wreck anchors" some call them.

Reactions: Lace and dbeam

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
or better yet, invest in an Ipilot. OH MY WORD, it will absolutely change your life. I never use anchors anymore, and the GPS on it makes getting snagged lures so easy - just point it at the snag and continue fishing until you get there!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lighter weight zips? Do your testing on dry ground so you can zero in the strength tie you need. Use a floating rope so there is less chance of the rope getting hooked under something and preventing the breakaway.

G

·
I caught my first anchor last season in the Bogue Sound.

Rod started bowing as we were trolling. I grabbed it and fought it for about 10 minutes. I could tell he was a whopper! I knew by the weight it was the biggest fish I'd ever caught. He had my rod bent double. I thought it was gonna snap. Finally got the monster in close to the boat and up came my hook caught in a piece of rope.

I grabbed the rope and started pulling, hoping there wasn't going to be a dead body on the other end. After I got all the rope in I found a one of those nice black rubber coated mushroom anchors. It couldn't have been more than a few days old. Still had the bar code sticker on it. It was practically brand new.

No fish but the good thing was I sold the anchor at the flea mall for $15 bucks. :)

I'm guessing the original owner was that guy who chunked his anchor overboard not realizing the other end wasn't tied to his boat.

G

·
We also find quite a few anchors scuba diving the rock jetty off Radio Island. Once they get all solidly wedged in the rocks I reckon people just finally get frustrated and cut the line. Wire brush them and paint them with galvanized paint and get $15 a piece for them at the flea mall all day long. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.