NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting into King fishing, what size tackle would you recomend. from rod/reel to size line and leader. I dont wanna go get what I think will be good and it be way to much or not enough. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have several different reels I use. Shimano TLD, Shimano speedmasters, and Shimano toriums. They all work great. If you want a reel specifically for king fishing, the speedmaster or torium is probably your best bang for the buck. They need to be paired with live bait rods that have soft tips so that the baits are not dragged through the water.

I use 20 pound test on my main line with 30 feet of flourocarbon leader. I copy this exact rig here: http://www.texstackle.com/product/blue-water-candy-king-rigs-naked-1431.htm.

Baits can be anything but most people will use menhaden. I have also used bluefish, pinfish, or anything else I can get my hands on. Menhaden are nice because you can usually catch several dozen with a cast net.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I was looking at an Okuma CLX 450L and an Okiaya composit 50-80# (mostly because was on sale) for a set up tbut the more I look at it, I think its a little overkill. I think the reel will be fine, but any sugestions as far as rods? I am moving close to corpus Christi pretty soon, trying to get ready for that gulf life lol. thanks again BTW.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would suggest not getting a level wind reel for king mackerel fishing. If you hook a big one it will burn the gears up in the level wind and you will probably lose the fish.

I am not sure if you are close to Neuse Sports Shop, but they have some pretty nice live bait combos on sale (or they used to). Give them a call and see if they still have them. I believe they were shimano tld 15 combos on tsunami rods.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have several different reels I use. Shimano TLD, Shimano speedmasters, and Shimano toriums. They all work great. If you want a reel specifically for king fishing, the speedmaster or torium is probably your best bang for the buck. They need to be paired with live bait rods that have soft tips so that the baits are not dragged through the water.

I use 20 pound test on my main line with 30 feet of flourocarbon leader. I copy this exact rig here: http://www.texstackle.com/product/blue-water-candy-king-rigs-naked-1431.htm.

Baits can be anything but most people will use menhaden. I have also used bluefish, pinfish, or anything else I can get my hands on. Menhaden are nice because you can usually catch several dozen with a cast net.
I just bought a TLD yesterday and a good live bait rod.

Do you ever used any type of trolling plug?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said before I am pretty new at this but I assume a comtemporary reel would be best, but as far as the rod goes would it matter if it has the rollers or just a regular spinning type rod. and no I dont live close to there, or I would go check them out

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I sure do. Most of the time I fish with live bait but when using dead bait (cigar minnows) I use a rig similar to this one: http://www.bluewatercandylures.com/products/info/dead_bait_rigs You can troll faster with them and cover more ground.

I also pull Yo-Zuri Deep Divers and Drone Spoons with them. They really are great all around reels. I even use them bottom fishing for cobia during the spring.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I sure do. Most of the time I fish with live bait but when using dead bait (cigar minnows) I use a rig similar to this one: http://www.bluewatercandylures.com/products/info/dead_bait_rigs You can troll faster with them and cover more ground.

I also pull Yo-Zuri Deep Divers and Drone Spoons with them. They really are great all around reels. I even use them bottom fishing for cobia during the spring.
I appreciate the info. I am getting excited for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Like I said before I am pretty new at this but I assume a comtemporary reel would be best, but as far as the rod goes would it matter if it has the rollers or just a regular spinning type rod. and no I dont live close to there, or I would go check them out
You are correct a contemporary/conventional reel is best. I just would not get one that has a level wind on it. Kings are fast fish. None of my rods have the rollers but I have never caught a 40+ pound king either.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Same here man. You won't be dissapointed with that rod/reel setup I'm sure. You can also use them for old drum fishing in the Pamlico.
I'm planning on getting another one prior to Memorial day weekend so I have two. I have read that small dolphin come within 5 miles of the beach later in the summer. I have seen some stuff where guys troll for cobia as well.

The $$$ never stops lol

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It definitely doesn't. They come pretty close in around Morehead as well to Northwest Places and Big 10 Little 10. Here are some numbers for NW places: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/32694-NW-Places-Out-of-Beaufort-Inlet

A few summers ago a buddy of mine and myself caught a sailfish near the fourth set of cans in Beaufort Inlet on a menhaden about 30 feet behind the boat. You never know what will show up out there.

·
Registered
77 Posts

i use the exact leader, although i prefer 17 lbs. test mono as it stretches better for me. i use Avet 5.0 and shimano TLD's and for rods I think you cant beat the Ugly Stick customs! i have used them and they work for me!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i use the exact leader, although i prefer 17 lbs. test mono as it stretches better for me. i use Avet 5.0 and shimano TLD's and for rods I think you cant beat the Ugly Stick customs! i have used them and they work for me!
Can you post a link to the ugly stik's you use? I can never seem to find the right ones online.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I prefer the USCB 1170M's... rated for 15-30lb...

http://www.tackledirect.com/shakespeare-uscb-1170-m-ugly-stik-custom-bigwater-boat-rod.html#

Pair this with a Speedmaster or TLD-15...

For dead bait (cigar minnows), highly recommend looking into some pirate plugs... stupid easy to rig the bait and they will not spin... hank brown rigs will work as well...

Live Bait-- there are some variations/preference on the specific rig and you can find a bunch of vids online... very cheap to make yourself

Spoons and Diving Plugs will work as well, but I prefer live then dead bait over the lures..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.