NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a power pole for my boat to fish for flounder,trout,and redfish in the creeks and rivers. I am wondering what size do you guys use or if they are even necessary. what are your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a 5 foot manual pole for my kayak. Works great. Picked it up from a forum member.

As far a necessary?? I fish first without one and then another time with one. Sold. No anchor to deal with.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Depends on your boat. Get the 8ft.
I have a 6' PP , get the adapter plate for mounting.
The remote control & heat sink protector for the fiberglass. .......... ICM

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My kayak is right on the water and the draft is nothing so 5' is long at times for me. For a boat you need to take in factors like. How much pole do you need in the ground (sandy? mucky?) to hold your place in weather you fish in. How deep and what is the change in depth you expect to see?

Say 3' in the ground? + Expected max water depth of 5' max? + distance from water surface to mount plate + operational requirements. And don't forget about the rock and roll. If your moving up and down a foot that would cut your max depth to 4'.

I must say you will be sorry if you don't install one. They are so cool.

mikeski

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't even have an anchor in my boat. No power pole either. The guys I know that have them love them. It is a pia for the back seater to have to maneuver around casting. On a kayak or canoe, that isn't a big deaL. I would think the manual would be great for a kayak.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I don't even have an anchor in my boat. No power pole either. The guys I know that have them love them. It is a pia for the back seater to have to maneuver around casting. On a kayak or canoe, that isn't a big deaL. I would think the manual would be great for a kayak.
All you do is put the power pole down half way and voila the man in the back of the boat doesn't have to maneuver around it anymore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am a bass angler and I've heard several guys say if you're gonna have one powerpole you need 2 powerpoles. In heavy current your boat will go in circles if your not facing down stream. You'll have to stand on the trolling motor to keep it pointing the way you want unless you position your boat facing down stream. Then their's the wind... The wind could push you one way and the current another way. With only one pole... again, the boat will rotate on the single axis thats hold it in place.

Just throwing that out there. PowerPoles and Talons are very expensive just for one much less 2. But they sure do look sexy on the back of a boat.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I read about spinning but I think it's more of boat placement in the water to the structure in the current.

With the kayak, Until I install an anchor trolly. I select the scupper hole to use so I am positioned how I want. With the trolly I can be head into the current or butt into the current very easily.

I have seen singles and doubles on Harris. I can't say I fished in a place on Harris so far where the poles would have done me any good.

mikeski

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I have an 8' Talon and love it. If I start to spin, I'll either use my trolling motor or I have a 8' Stick-it pin that I'll use on the bow. Good reason to have two, but that's a lot of money for a shallow water anchor system. If you can, I would get the longest one you can afford.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.