NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering what pound thrust trolling motor people would recommend for a 16' aluminum jon boat. 48" bottom. I'm thinking at least a 55 pound transom mount. I would prefer to stay away from bow mounted trolling motors. I mainly fish small private ponds but would like to fish falls every now and again.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
That big a jon boat is going to be tough to steer in any wind with a transom mount. 55 is fine but I'd look into a bow mount and a small outboard for bigger lakes.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
For electric only waters I say 55 is a good choice since you can cover some water quicker. If you only plan to use it while working lures then a 40 is plenty and seldom will you even use high speed so batteries last longer unless you are really trying to cover alot of area... and 40's are around $100 and lots of them around used also..

Reactions: KC_Angler

·
Registered
762 Posts
55lb - and when you get tired of fighting the wind (should take about 5 - 10 minutes) you can flip the head (search youtube for "flip trolling motor head") on the motor and mount it up front. I did this with a Minn Kotta 55lb on my jon boat works great.

Reactions: KC_Angler

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
55lb bow mount if you do not want to stand on the bow you can get remote controlled or a tiller steer and make a long handle and a foot controlled on/off switch

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
55 would probably do OK, more would be better. Its better to have power and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
55lb - and when you get tired of fighting the wind (should take about 5 - 10 minutes) you can flip the head (search youtube for "flip trolling motor head") on the motor and mount it up front. I did this with a Minn Kotta 55lb on my jon boat works great.
Sounds interesting. Might have to look that up.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
all tiller steer trolling motors can be flipped around to work on both the transom or bow/side mount. most by simply removing one screw and nut...

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Transom is good ofr traveling out to where your going to fish it keeps the bow higher so the boat pushes better. But once you start fishing a bow mount is MUCH better IMHO. 55 lbs is more than enough for a 1648 unless you are fishing tailrace or strong current.

Darrell

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have a1648 jon and had a 55lb trans mount flipped for the front, it worked great, tiller steer. My son gave me a 45lb bow mount with foot control. it is also strong enough. it has more control once you get use to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts