NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i hate to vent on myself but what am i doin wrong - i`m one day actually gonna hook somethin and be sooo surprised i`m gonna fall out of my yak ! - i fish all the lakes around here and yes maybe it is the wrong time of day [ 10 to 2 ] but there has to be some lonely fish that gets hungry at that time .. i`m using all the right baits - fish on some beautiful lakes - maybe i`ll have to hook up with some one and they can show me what i`m doin wrong...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
You can't just go out and expect to cast your line out and catch a fish. You have to put some emotion into it. Work your lures with some feeling. Something that will make the fish want to eat. Think like a predator....Be the agressor...

Look for ambush points. Could be a dropoff, maybe a log, rock pile, dock, or point. Present your bait in a manner that it works past these areas in a natural manner. The fish will be waiting to eat as their "prey" (your bait) nonchalantly swims by. Don't get discouraged and don't let the time of day think you won't catch fish. If you leave the house thinking you are at a disadvantage then you are. Treat every cast of every trip like you're going to catch a 10 pounder.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I grew up fishing ponds and creeks and have only ever fished lakes a few times, and it was always a huge learning curve. Which lakes are you fishing? I never did get skunked on any of my lake trips because I didn't try to be a Bass Pro and fish deep ledges or submerged brush piles. I wasn't after trophies I just wanted to catch a bass! So i stuck with areas I know hold fish and baits I know catch fish decently in all weather. I took a red shad zoom or culprit worm, rigged it carolina rigged and weedless, and fished the back ends of coves and the points. Shallow water near logs or grass is the best. Cast in, let it sink, then slowly fish it back to you. Keep working your way around the lake edges and eventually you WILL catch one. A pro with their special favorite lure will outfish me any day, but I always catch a fish. I don't target areas which may hold lots of fish, I just fish places that ALWAYS hold some. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Trigger is right about that; when I am convinced I will get a bite I pay a lot more attention and notice some subtle things I might miss. Speaking of noticing subtle things, what line or lines are you using? Switching from stretchy mono to braid (actually using the fused dyneema stuff now) for my light set up made a lot of difference for me as I can feel more and set more effectively.

10-2 is a fine time of day, especially in the Fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.