NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I will be heading down to topsail again march 20-27. Indiana has got me down, after a pretty mild winter we got hit with six inches of snow today.So I put in for some vacation time. I was wondering if and what kind of fishing are normally biting around that time. As usually I will be hitting the piers and want to try some surf fishing. My Mom and step dad hooked my up with a nice surf rod/reel and I need to try it out. Are any baits better than others at this time and are most obtainable.. Thanks in advance your guys's info has always been great and right on and has led to some good fishing outings for this Indiana boy stuck without an ocean

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You are really a little late in asking. I wouldn't recommend trying anything from surf or pier in March. You might be able to catch some sheephead around the pier pilings. That's if the water is warm enough. Black drum are a possibility. Normally The water is cold and fishing is slow in the surf in March. The bottom fishing offshore can be good in March if you can pick your days. I'm thinking there should be some tuna offshore then also. March is usually skates, spiny dogfish and maybe a croaker or two as far as the surf goes. There are trout and puppy drum in the sound but without a boat of some sort you'd have to get lucky in finding some you could catch. Things don't normally start cranking up in the surf until April and usually I have better luck in May. I hate having to give you bad news but maybe it's in time to re-think your plans. AL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well well that stinks but due to fiances schools schedule that is about the only time we can go. I guess I will leave the surf rod and at home. I will also be coming down the first week of june. I guess I will just fish off the pier in march mite not catch much but at least i will be fishing. Thanks for the info
rob

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
If you are coming anyway, send me a PM just before you leave. I'll let you know if anything is happening as I live in the Topsail area. But like SinkerMan said, it's pretty slim pickings around that time of the year.

There are some public piers on the sound side were you might pick up a Trout or Drum but they are fished a lot. There is a nice one in Surf City just after you cross the bridge. There are 2 down toward the end of Topsail Beach township. They might be worth a try too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the one just past the bridge in a little park and looks relatively new it also has a public boat launching area if so I think I know it. We normally fish off surf city pier or the jolly rodger, My step dad does have a little boat that we take sometimes and fish under the bridge at sneads ferry. We could probably bring the boat if that would help. Do you think there would be anything going on around new river inlet sneads ferry area.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Trout and puppy drum should be OK. Sheephead should be at the bridge if the water temp is up enough. It has been a warmer than normal winter so spring water temps may be up a little bit early this year. The shad will be running in the rivers then also. A small boat will put you in business with them also. The river is usually a little more protected from the usual March winds. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
rmcalhoun said:
Is the one just past the bridge in a little park and looks relatively new it also has a public boat launching area if so I think I know it. We normally fish off surf city pier or the jolly rodger, My step dad does have a little boat that we take sometimes and fish under the bridge at sneads ferry. We could probably bring the boat if that would help. Do you think there would be anything going on around new river inlet sneads ferry area.
Yes, that would be the Surf City municipal park & boat ramp. BTW - the only free public access coastal ramp in Pender county. A small boat would allow you to get into the marshes and near the inlets. The other two piers I spoke of are on the sound down near the south end of the Island. Probably won't be much happening at the Ocean Piers then.

Course if this mild weather holds up the fish could be back in a bit earlier this year ... Ocean water temps near shore are running about 8-10 degrees warmer than normal for first week of Feb. (they are in mid 50's). One can hope anyway.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it is a little closer now. I will be in topsail the middle of next week and was wondering if any of you had heard if anything was going on at the piers or in the surf. I will also have a small boat that I may take the sneads ferry area. any comments or help is greatly appreciated
thanks rob

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The drum and trout are biting with reports of both in the surf but the best action seems to be in the creeks (boat needed). It's still slow but better than expected for this time of year. I have heard reports of a few flounder being caught. Pier action is still slow.

Stop in at East Coast Sports in Surf City, just after you cross the bridge onto Topsail (if you are coming in on Hwy 50). They will be happy to give you a current report and point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
There have been a few nice sea mullets caught the past two days on the north end, small specks, and small grey trout. But the mullets have been pretty nice. I have seen them with my own eyes, or I wouldn't believe it myself. I'm walking out the door now to see what is happening. I have been gigging some very nice flounder, if your boat is suitable for that kind of thing. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thats what i want to hear. When we there in november we caught lots of trout it was a good time. I know you guys get sick of shark and skates but I really dont care what I catch it is just nice to be fishing in the ocean. I have caught some real small sharks down there before(small like 12-14 inches) I think it would be kinda fun to catch a bigger one. Any one know any sure fire shark cacthing methods. If thats whats biting I might as well try to catch some. I throw back about 99% of everything anyway, except for five trout I brought back to my fiances dad.
Thanks again
rob

·
Registered
574 Posts
Large hooks and half a fresh fish. We use to fish for sharks in Chesapeake Bay when nothing else was was biting. We'd use small bottom rigs with cut bait or shrimp to catch pinfish and croakers. If we could find 'em we'd use a cast net to catch larger striped mullet (6-10"). Cut 'em in half and put them on a big bottom rig. Chumed with menhaden oil or left over pogies that died on previous trips.

Almost always produced sharks. Mostly 1 to 2 foot sand sharks, but sometimes we'd hook up with tigers and hammerheads if the water was warm. Sometimes we would get lucky and hook up with bigger drum on the cut mullet too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read on another site that the big blues came in today around kill devil hill
any one hear if they have arrived any where around topsail.
Also I will be there wed does anyone know which piers are open and what hours they are

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I haven't heard of any yet. Water temp is still af ew degrees cooler than they like down here. Hatteras gets the warm water a little sooner, we are in Onslow bay which is tucked back behind Cape Lookout to the north and cape Fear to the south. So it takes a little longer but you may be in luck on the blues by next week, everything seems early this year. I'll be checking on the on the Topsail Island Pier opening tomorrow anyway (for the local newspaper) so I'll post that info here too.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Here's the Topsail Island Pier report for this week:

Sea View Pier is open and reports some Virginia Mullet being caught with most on the smaller side. Jolly Roger Pier is also open and reports a few mullet and spots taken but mostly sharks and skate being caught this past week. Surf City Pier will open on March 31st at 6AM. They are offering a free season pass to the first person to catch a Virginia Mullet from the pier!

Here's their phone numbers:
Jolly Roger (south end of Island) 910.328.4616
Surf City Pier (middle of the Island) 910.328.3521
Sea View Pier (north end of the Island) 910.328.3172

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.