NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was reading the post about fishing the Roanoke, Neuse, Trent rivers I was wondering what is the preferred type of boat for these areas? I have a 18' bass boat and wondering if it would be good for fishing any of these areas? Never had it in salt water how far up river before you get out of the salt water? Thanks for any advice

Ronnie

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
great boat for all those waters. Pamlico, Washington is the point considered "brackish" New Bern, same for the Neuse, Trent is always considered fresh. Roanoke from the mouth in is fresh. It varies a bit with winds/rain but that's a guideline.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your bass boat will be fine in that area and that kind of boat is use regularly and effectively in those areas by many. I prefer a bay boat in the lower neuse as it handles chop a lot better and the neuse can get nasty

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
We used to run bass tournaments on the Pamlico. Basically the Pamlico was used to gain access to several different rivers. Yea, it got too rough at times. Saw some swamped boats.
In fact, the last tournament Bill Dance fished was on the Pamlico.

The point is. It's not as much the boat as it is the captain. Know your limitations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.