NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of finally getting a vehicle I can drive on the beach. I'm in my 60s and am tired of waiting. I think 6 cylinders, a hitch, 4 wheel drive. Unfortunately I gotta keep working too so I'm thinking about MPG. The vehicle would also have to pull a popup camper under 2000 lbs. I'd like some serious suggestions for what to get. Probably gonna need used. So tell me, what have you owned or know about.
Jeffoak

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Nissan Frontier or an X Terra... i have an X Terra now and had a Frontier before this one. I like the power of the V6 that they have...I pull bass boats of about 3500 pounds and have no problems with pulling power. I get 24 mpg on the highway, less with a boat in tow, of course, but solid trucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I kept a vehicle at core bank for years in my experience it is about torque not hp. I had a ford with a inline 6 cylinder with a granny first gear that worked excellent. The biggest problem I had was finding good used tires that would dig much in the sand note you will need no more than 10psi. to drive on the beach.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
What PSI depends on the weight of the vehicle.

For what it's worth, I won't put my daily driver on the beach.
Just an example of how hard it is on a vehicle. Friend of mine bought a used 4x4 Trooper this past summer. Vehicle checks out fine. It's been driven on trips and gets driven to work here and there. It's a spare vehicle.

To put it simply, we put it on the beach and it didn't take but about 20 minutes for things to start showing up. It needs CV joints and universal joints for starters. On the road it's just fine but it shows how taxing beach driving can be on a vehicle.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
all depends on what you want to spend , how much you plan to use it, and how far you need to drive to get to the beach.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Deuce and a half. Who needs a rut when you can make your own. Put some 47's on her and let her go.
I'm in the market for one but want one with the Caterpillar engine. Caterpillar guarantees a part for any of their engines no matter when they were made within 48 hours.
Mine would be primarily for the beach with a custom built truck camper to fit a deuce.

·
Read Only
586 Posts
Deuce and a half. Who needs a rut when you can make your own. Put some 47's on her and let her go.
I'm in the market for one but want one with the Caterpillar engine. Caterpillar guarantees a part for any of their engines no matter when they were made within 48 hours.
Mine would be primarily for the beach with a custom built truck camper to fit a deuce.
you must live close to the sand, or store it down there, if you didnt gas money would be high

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
you must live close to the sand, or store it down there, if you didnt gas money would be high
Due to the top speed and the noise, yes, you would leave it close by for the summer. Bring it home for the winter.
As far as fuel, Some of them are multi fuel. They'll run on straight used motor oil in the summer. Oil thinned with diesel in the winter.
If you bob it, you'll get better speed and better gas mileage through weight loss. The bed on a deuce weighs a ton and a half, plus you'll be getting rid of an axle. Pretty much turn it into a a big Tonka pickup with 53" tires.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
Lot of Ford guys posting. My 2003 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 (with the bulletproof 5.3 liter V8) has weathered many a beach. With 160k on it it's still going strong with no major repairs...ever. You can pick one up that age fairly inexpensively and the engine should be good for many more miles. Gas mileage is about 17 around town and 20 hwy. You can tow pretty much anything you want with it. It also holds tons of gear.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I bought a really nice ford explorer a few years back that was a 2006 Eddie model, 4x4, 18 mpg and it only cost 13k. Been getting me on the beach like a champ ever since and doesn't cost 50 grand like a ford 150. I also like being able to leave my fishing gear in the car with out worry
Welcome to the site glad you have joined us.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I saw a converted school bus a few years back that had a back porch, built out of wood, and also had a VW hippie wagon cut down body on top for extra storage, on a mtn trip with my parents. My dad was totally fascinated by that bus, and I can't forget what it looked like. Wheel modifications like Drum Runner was saying, and some rod holders on that back porch is my vision.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.