NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is a hypothetical question, I say hypothetical because I don't have an extra $500 personally, but maybe some day I will.

I have been struggling trying to catch redfish down at the coast, granted I don't live 5 minutes away so my trips are few and far between, I TRY to get down once a week but that doesn't always happen. I also have an interest in kayak fishing. I like the fact that yaks can get to a lot of places that boats cannot, there is no gas to buy, there is little to no maintenance, you can float shallow, rocky creeks and rivers like we will be doing at the New River M&G, and it would also be useful to me for a duck hunting platform, but I don't have a kayak.

So if you had $500, would you spend a day with a good guide trying to learn how to catch the incredible red drum, or would you purchase an inexpensive kayak to do all the stuff kayaks can do?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Buy the kayak. The low expense will mean more time on the water and the education will follow. Plenty of great people here who will show you around in your new Kayak

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You done opened up a whole new can of worms with this one! May have to start another thread.

SIT IN vs SIT ON Fight!

I have read about the benefits of each, my use as a duck hunting platform leads me to lean towards a sit in due to the cold water and air temps during the season, however, the sit on's seem way better as a fishing vessel. OK Kayak anglers, convince me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I asked myself the same basic question last year(poor boy here). It seemed finding a new suitable fishing yak wasn't going to happen. I found a used OT Ambush for 250. It is more of a hybrid but the closest thing available new was between 1-2k. I wont win any races, but it is near unsinkable even with my fat gut and it is so stable I use a lawn chair for the seat. It also has a wide long flat bottom to lay in for duck hunting.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look if I wasn't saving pennies to send two teenage girls to college I would have already bought theFs12T's big brother the FS128T. And I intend on cast and blasting from it as well as back country deer hunting.
Gene Red>x< Asheboro
Not bad looking setups and looks like you get a lot for the money. I don't see the extra $200 and 19 pounds for a boat that's only 8" longer, size doesn't matter right?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Not bad looking setups and looks like you get a lot for the money. I don't see the extra $200 and 19 pounds for a boat that's only 8" longer, size doesn't matter right?
More stability the length lets you cut rough water a bit better. The seat on the 128 is mobetta too

Gene Red>x< Asheboro

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have to disagree with the pack here a bit. I've gone on a couple guided trips and they hugely decreased the learning curve on a new body of water, and technique wasn't even the biggest takeaway. The real prize was spots and more importantly why those spots were good places to fish. Once you have that key the water just got a lot smaller and you can focus on likely locations. In an ideal world you could do both but I would have to cheap out on the kayak and learn where to fish first. I'd rather be having success in a crap boat than sitting in a shiny new boat getting skunked.

PS - Sit on top all the way. Self bailing and a higher vantage point. It's easy to add clothes and no fun to sink if your boat fills up.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.