NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Blue fish

Choppers cause them things have some nasty teeth and they (as a school) get pretty agressive on some bait fish.

some folks in the blitz say it's frantic fishin when the choppers are bittin'

·
Registered
358 Posts
"Chopper" or "Hatteras Blues" are typically over 5 pounds and frequently in the 10 pound range and swim in big schools. Many times, bonita, false albacore, spanish and even stripers will be mixed in with them depending on the time of year.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
And when they get worked up they are like a school of pirahna! I've heard of people being bit and thinking it was sharks.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I see reports of folks catching "chopper blues". Is chopper good or bad, big or small? I know the blues are toothy - is there such a thing as a blue that isn't a "chopper"?

Thanks in advance...
I think you got your answer but just for clarity - Chopper refers to the size of the blue fish...... a big one in other words. Snapper is a small one.

Kind of like a smoker king means any king over 30 pounds (well some say 20). A Snake king is a small one (under 12 pounds).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hot Spot is right, Chopper or Hatteras blue are the big ones. They are extremly fun to catch but will cause chaos on a pier when a blitz hits. King rigs start clicking and there will be gotcha plugs everywhere. But yes the name refers to size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts