NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a panfish of some sort but until today I didn't know what it was called. Are they good to eat? The ones I've been catching are chunky and darn sure abundant. Have caught them on small minnows at Rhodes last few times out. Is there another name for them? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess no one knows about these little fish. Was hoping someone would know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
All that I know about them is that there are the smallest of the Gamefish Sunfish, and that the feed on the top alot which is why they are called Fliers. I never have caught them so don't know much about them but I have more info at home and will post it this weekend.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These things are about a handful. At least what I've caught. That's around 15 of them. they are about 2 -3 inches thick.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would appreciate that bank and surf. Been catching them on minnows. They pull good and hit hard.

·
Registered
221 Posts
OK according to the NC Wildlife Resource Commision NC Sportfish Identification Pocket Guide

Flier(Centrachus macropterus)
Description: Dark green, olive. Scales marked with a brown spots forming a series of horizontal lines; long anal fin, 7-8 sanla spines. Most less than 1/2 lb.

Habitat: Sluggish lowland habitats such as swamps, bayous and other weedy waters. Rarely found in flowing waters. Spawns in the spring when water reaches 68-73 degrees. Males digs nests in shallow water near the shore. Nests in colonies.

Tips: Worms, crickets, small jigs, spinners to popers. Because of the fliers tendancy to rise to the surface, fly fishing is effective.

Range: AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

That is all I can find, maybe I will just have to go out there myself to collect more information..:)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Has anyone ever cooked a few of em up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.