NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what is everyone keeping? I threw a pile of what I would consider small ones back. I wished I had a stringer yesterday as I threw 4 say 12"ers back.

What do you consider keeper???

mikeski

·
Registered
365 Posts
While I'm no authority, many folks who post here feel the white perch is a nusance and threat to the LMB population, so from that perspective every white perch is a keeper - even if you don't eat it.

12" sounds like a great keeper size - and actually is probably a fairly large white perch.

I say if you can fillet a frozen fish stick size piece of meat out of each side, a fish is a keeper - as long as creel limits permit.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I keep all white perch, one because they are invasive and 2 because they are tasty!! and yes, pretty good bait for cats too.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went out today to determine what keeper is.

I understand the nuisance thing. But, with a kayak I don't have much storage. And the stringer below was more than enough to drag along till it was time to paddle back. If I kept all the small ones I could have sunk.

In Maine there were usually bass with the perch. Hook a bait size one and let it swim free line. Anyone try that here? I can't say I caught a bass when I was catching white bass.

Below is 16 lbs of White Perch. I threw some back, some came off, and a couple got away. And then there are a few of the big ones. 1.5, 1.4, 1.3 lbs. Everything was caught on a few different colored ultralight rattle traps. Lost one to a fish. One was stuck in the net and it stayed there. **** those little tiny hooks. I will get it out tomorrow. And another, one hook on a treble broke off.

Needless to say I had a great time today. Till the cleaning ;-)

mikeski

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The WRC even allows netting (new this year) so keeping is pretty strongly encouraged. After my experiments with filleting a few days ago, I will harvest some below hand size. You can get the back meat from each side in seconds with fairly easy cuts. I would rather catch 12 inchers, but will keep small ones.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
those are some nice perch! wanna know a secret to really demolishing the little jokers when you find a school? There's a grass shrimp sabiki rig out there i believe mustad makes it. catch 3-5 fish at a time about every time you drop ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up a few of those rigs for the Bay River trip. They are small hooks though. I might see if I can find something with larger hooks.

However, I am not sure I would like to clean a bucket of fish though. Oh wait. I just did that tonight. But that was just 15 fish. If it took 30 or 40 to fill the bucket I know I would not like to clean them. One thing about the smaller ones I caught. The smaller scales are easier to deal with than the big ones with the large scales.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't typically fillet panfish like that, I gut, scale, behead and into the breader , released to swim in hot oil! Fish tastes good cooked on the bone. Boiled, you can pick the bones and use the meat for chowder or stew.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I don't typically fillet panfish like that, I gut, scale, behead and into the breader , released to swim in hot oil! Fish tastes good cooked on the bone. Boiled, you can pick the bones and use the meat for chowder or stew.
I like them that way, but not everyone in my family will eat them that way. Also a lot more work and Perch scales have quite a scatter range.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.