NC Angler Forums banner

whats happenin everybody!

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave B. 
#1 ·
I am new to the site but been in the area for quite some time. I fish mainly in Raleigh now but grew up fishing down east in Goldsboro and down at the coast. Its my birthday tommorrow and i am going to go fishing before I have to go to work. Good luck everyone out there! I would love to here some great places around raleigh that are fun to fish without a boat.

#3 ·
Hey BigL20 - welcome to the site and Happy Birthday!

I can list a few spots in the northern part of the county...

The last couple years my favorite shoreline bass fishing has been at Durant Nature Park. Good mix of shallow and deep water, weeds keep it fairly clear. I usually enter at the south entrance, behind the industrial park off Gresham's Lake Rd near Capital, and fish the area near the spillway of the big lake. Have seen some HAWGS in there in the spring, but haven't caught any bigger than 3lbs. Check out the upper lake too. The exercise getting there is good for you! (haven't caught anything up there, but I have seen them).

Used to catch some little fish at Glen Eden Park. Tiny little lake, but it has been productive for numbers.

A few places around Falls Lake:
  • Have done some good at the Hwy 50 Bridge at Falls lake - south western side and up under the bridge.
  • There's an area of the Beaverdam recreation area at Falls off Old Weaver Trail that has really good shoreline access.
  • Also some good access at the New Light Road bridge
  • The park at the Hwy 50 boat launch has good access to the Beaverdam arm of the lake. spillway, rip-rap dike, deep shoreline. $5 to get in during the summer though.
  • The spillway area on Falls of the Neuse Rd has lots of river fishing. Wading is nice when its this hot out and the water release from the dam is light. Find a deep pool and drag small worms or small crankbaits into it from upstream.
Also good river fishing off Old Milburnie rd - there's a canoe launch & park off the first road on the left (apartment entrance) as you travel Old Milburnie coming from 64. I've only seen it when it was running pretty strong - not sure what its like right now when the flow is light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.