NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to a 7' medium ugly stick for inshore and some bass fishing. I have it paired with a daiwa crossfire 3000 (love the reel. Definitely the toughest budget reel I've handled, strong parts, good drag, etc. I've used one for a few years) And I love the distance I get with the 7 footer. I usually use 6' rods. The only issue I'm having is that it feels awkward when I cast it. It casts far but it just doesn't feel right. Turns out it is balancing close to six inches in front of the reel seat. I've never noticed balance issues till now but I feel it every cast. I'm considering upping to a crossfire 4000. Would this fix the issue? Or would the extra weight make it worse overall? I've always seen 3000 as the top end of the sizes I'd use to throw lures so I'm a little hesitant. Advice appreciated!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Adding weight at the reel is not going to make a huge difference in balance, since it is near the point you are trying to balance about, try adding some weight at the butt of the rod with the reel you have. They make kits with weights and a rubber butt end that the weights fit into. Think I even have an extra lying around somewhere if you need it.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
before you start spending money do a cheap tests by taping some weight on the butt and see if you like the feel.

Reactions: Swampin'

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Uglystiks are built to be abused, nothing else. Good on a budget and with people who are hard on their stuff but not great on the scale of balance/sensitivity/weight.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uglystiks are built to be abused, nothing else. Good on a budget and with people who are hard on their stuff but not great on the scale of balance/sensitivity/weight.
I'm much to rough on equipment to fish with much else. Add that to my college kid budget and it's a match made in heaven. I tried a low end shimano solara rod in 7' medium and it literally broke mid cast on the fifth cast. Just a normal everyday cast with a badonkadonk and it broke below the second eye from the top. I contacted shimano and they said they would replace it but the shipping would cost almost as much as the rod so I counted it as a loss and bought the ugly stick. I've never had balance issues with the 6' but for the 7' it seems like the bottom half is the same but they just slapped a longer end on it. If I can get it to balance better it will be an excellent combo. I'm going to see what I can do with the advice posted. I'm going to try washers just to see if it works before I commit to a cap.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
If you don't want to order something you can go to Lowes and get chair leg rubber feet. They come in different sizes. Put washers in them until you get the balance you are looking for and then epoxy it to the rod.
Someone in this post used to build rods. It wasn't me. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.