NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I believe that you can keep your limit of 1 redfish per day, in the proper size, from a cast net. (recreational salt water license possession assumed)

Because NC doesn't recognize redfish as game fish.

Odd as heck... Since in freshwater, you couldn't even legally keep a bluegill you caught in a cast net.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
hit the freshwater section at any tackle shop, look for the weedless worm hooks etc. you can get weedless jigheads too.

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe that you can keep your limit of 1 redfish per day, in the proper size, from a cast net. (recreational salt water license possession assumed)

Because NC doesn't recognize redfish as game fish.

Odd as heck... Since in freshwater, you couldn't even legally keep a bluegill you caught in a cast net.
NC WRC doesn't regulate the red drum, NC Division of Marine Fisheries does (as they do with most saltwater fish).

From the DMF website (I see nothing about nets, but I may have missed it): "Unlawful to possess red drum greater than 27 inches total length. Unlawful to gig, spear, or gaff red drum. One black drum per person per day over 25” TL is allowed."

http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Pretty sure this is still applicable:

FF-92-2014

PROCLAMATION

RE: RED DRUM-COMMERCIAL FISHING OPERATONS

Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M., Thursday, January 1, 2015, the following restrictions apply to the taking of red drum for commercial purposes:

I. HARVEST LIMIT
A. It is unlawful to possess more than seven (7) red drum per day taken in a commercial fishing operation, regardless of the number of individuals or vessels involved.

B. It is unlawful to possess red drum taken in a commercial fishing operation that is not in possession of either, flounder, bluefish, black drum or striped mullet caught the same day.

C. It is unlawful to land or transport red drum in a commercial fishing operation unless the weight of the combined daily landed catch of flounder, bluefish, black drum or striped mullet exceeds the weight of the daily landed catch of red drum.​
II. TRANSPORT, TRANSFER AND SALE
A. It is unlawful for a commercial fishing operation to transfer possession of red drum except to a North Carolina licensed finfish dealer.

B. All transport of red drum subsequent to possession and prior to sale is considered to be part of the commercial fishing operation regardless of whether transport is by vessel, vehicle or other means.

C. All red drum that are sold, shall be sold prior to the sale of the flounder, bluefish, black drum or striped mullet species component of the daily landed catch.

D. The daily landed catch of red drum along with the daily landed catch of flounder, bluefish, black drum or striped mullet species taken in a commercial fishing operation must remain in the possession of the commercial fishing operation and be transported together up to the point of sale. Two SCFL holders from separate commercial fishing operations may transport their daily landed catch of red drum and associated target species as described above to the dealer in the same vehicle. A SCFL holder must accompany each single harvest limit until the time of sale to the dealer.

E. It is unlawful to purchase more than the daily harvest limit of red drum from a single commercial fishing operation.
III. GENERAL INFORMATION
A. This proclamation is issued under the authority of N.C.G.S. 170.4; 113-170.5; 113-182; 113-221.1; 143B-289.52; and N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rules 15A NCAC 03H .0103, 03M .0501 and 03M .0512.

B. It is unlawful to violate the provisions of any proclamation issued by the Fisheries Director under his delegated authority pursuant to N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03H .0103.

C. The intent of this proclamation is to manage the commercial red drum fishery as specified in the N.C. Red Drum Fishery Management Plan. The annual harvest limit for the fishing year September through August is 250,000 pounds. However, the Plan requires any overage from one year to be deducted from the subsequent year. The September through April harvest period harvest limit will be reduced from 150,000 pounds to 137,324 pounds due to an overage in this period from the prior q fishing year.

D. In accordance with N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 03M .0501(c), it is unlawful to possess red drum less than 18 inches total length or greater than 27 inches total length.

E. In accordance with N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission Rule 15A NCAC 3M .0501(d), it is unlawful to possess more than one red drum per person per day taken by hook-and-line or for recreational purposes.

F. Contact the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, P.O. Box 769, Morehead City, NC 28557
252-726- 7021 or 800-682-2632 for more information or visit the division website at http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/.

G. This proclamation supersedes Proclamation FF-78-2014 dated December 2, 2014. This proclamation increases the commercial red drum harvest limit to seven (7) fish. The division has analyzed trip ticket data and determined that sufficient poundage remains within the harvest period to raise the daily landing limit in order to minimize discards.

It would also depend on where you saw said activity taking place.​

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm looking for it now, but can recreational fishermen use nets? If so then it isn't necessarily a commercial question.

If I find an answer on my own, I will update this post.

Edit: in the "Avoid Hitting Fishing Gear" pdf,
"In all coastal waters, North Carolina requires commercial gill nets to have two solid yellow buoys, atleast 5 inches long, attached to each end of the net."
then
"Recreationally used gill nets must have two solid yellow buoys and one solid hot pink buoy on each end of the net"

Since not all netters are commercial, can recreational netters target reds? We know that commercial netters may not.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
That does not apply to cast nets, which I'm thinking the OP is referring to.
Never heard anyone refer to someone using a cast net as a "netter". The term "netter" is most often used to refer to a commercial fisherman using a gillnet. Also, if fishing in inland water a cast net is an illegal method of taking your limit of 1 recreational red drum because inland rules state that the only legal method of take is hook and line. When in joint or coastal waters, there aren't any rules saying you can't use a cast net. They simply state that you can't gig, spear, or gaff them.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
For what it's worth, as one not 'informed' or experienced in saltwater species or lingo, when I read the OP's question, my first thought was a cast net.

My ignorance is undisputed on this subject. You may well be right, but I don't know that I would necessarily assume that "netter" used by someone for example like me, means what it means to those more informed on the terminology.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yeah, I assumed the same.

I thought he was asking "what happens if I catch a drum with my cast net? Can I keep it?"

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I catch your drift SurfRider. What I don't get is the fact you can't target them
but can keep them.
Now THAT is a can of worms that can't be discussed on this forum..... Suffice to say, it's pretty easy for a commercial fisherman to say that he's targeting mullet or flounder to catch & sell drum

Reactions: drumchaser
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.