NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to get to any of the lakes around Raleigh since returning from Maryland. All I keep hearing over the news is that the lakes are drying up. Is that true? And if not, how is the fishing? Anybody catching any crappy up there yet?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Falls and Jordan are givin' em up!!! Better get wet quick!!!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Falls is at 243.5' - about 8' down from normal, but the same level as the beginning of October. Crappies are being caught - most reports and activity seems to be between the New Light bridge and the Hwy 50 bridge. Definitely more concentrated down there. There was only 1 open ramp at the Hwy 50 launch when I was there in January.

I stopped by the dam one night last week. Hadn't been down there since the drought kicked in. Pretty surprised to see the tower connected to the shoreline. Walked the rip rap and tossed a jerkbait. I think I was in the right place - found bait anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
At the spillway, water is higher than it was in Dec-Jan.. Water is actually flowing over the spillway (as of Saturday the 17th) and it wasn't back then.
I assume you're talking about the Beaverdam, Scott. It was right at full pool with water flowing over the spillway when I was there in January too. Plenty of water back there. We don't get many reports from that arm in the winter. I know folks get out there in jons and gheenoe's for crappie fishing on Beaverdam - we need to find some of those guys and get them online.

·
Registered
840 Posts
last week where there was a bit of warmer weather there were a lot guys (and gals) fishing the beaverdam access at my house, but not sure if they were catching anything.

I have been away at training all this week in the thriving metropolis of Salemburg (no offense to those living there -- lovely village) and have been a bit out of the loop this past week, but as has been stated above, last I heard there were a lot of crappie hitting near the 50 and new light bridges, somewhere around 12-18ft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.