NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Welcome Guitardogfish to NCangler.com! We have a few Striper fishermen on the site and a couple of forums dedicated to Striper fishing for both Freshwater and Saltwater. Those forums are just getting started but I hope you'll post any questions or striper reports over there. Our moderator for those forums is the Jordan Lake Striper-Sniper. Try can speak with authority on striper fishing. :)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome Guitarfish, glad you found us. I'm assuming you are talking about the lower Cape Fear around Wilmington and perhaps the NE Cape Fear branch as well. If so, I can help a little bit. I just started fishing for stripers there last year and I'm still learning too.

Let me know if this is the area you want to know about and I'll share what I can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Guitarfish, glad you found us. I'm assuming you are talking about the lower Cape Fear around Wilmington and perhaps the NE Cape Fear branch as well. If so, I can help a little bit. I just started fishing for stripers there last year and I'm still learning too.

Let me know if this is the area you want to know about and I'll share what I can.
That's the area.Anything you know would be helpful.Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot for the info.I'm going to try to go out fri. if the the weather is good.If not I guesss it will be after xmas.Do you know where I can find the area map of the fishing license zones.We only have a week left and I don't what to get busted with a fat striper in my boat.Anyway the last thing what kind of gear are you using.Thanks ALOT, you the man.NICE CATCH

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
On the Cape Fear River - the joint waters start at Memorial bridge in Wilmington. So anything north of the bridge you will need a freshwater fishing license. After Jan 1st - you will need one for the entire river either fresh or salt will work in joint waters above the bridge to the lock and dam, but only saltwater below the bridge) . It gets more complicated when it comes to the creeks that feed in to the river - there is a map on the WRC web site: North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission

On the Cape Fear River, the striper creel limit is 3 per person and min. size is 18 inches.

As to gear - We were using 7' fast action, medium light power spinning gear for casting and the same strength/action for trolling but those were conventional reels/rods. This is the same gear I use for trout and inshore drum fishing. 10 pound test mono or 15 pound test braid with a flourocarbon leader. That fat one was a BLAST on the light tackle.

Good luck - hope the weather holds out for ya. Don't worry about the cold as far as the bite goes (but do dress warm of course). The big thing to watch is the rain. I don't mind fishing in one or the other but I avoid fishing in cold & wet conditions - miserable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man.That info was all I needed.I've been using my trout rods for everything.They are light to med.My line is 10lb to 12lb.So I'm covered but the leaders is something I never use trout fishing.Thanks for telling me I need them for stripers.I would hate to lose one of those fat daddies.My brother-in-law use to work for one of those oil companies and he would fish on their pier with just grubs and catch a couple of big ones every once in awhile.He use to give me some and I would like to have some more.mmm mmm good.Thanks again and good fishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.