NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST WANTING TO SEE WHAT U GUYS ARE USING. WHAT IS UR FAVORITE BAITCASTING REEL? I GOTTA BRAND NEW ABU GARCIA 5500c3 (ROUND ONE) & I LOVE IT! BUT GETTING A LOTTA BACKLASHING FROM IT! I'VE BEEN FISHING BAITCASTERS ALL MY LIFE.... JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY? THE ONLY OTHER THING I CAN THINK OF IS TOO MUCH LINE ON IT?? IS THAT POSSIBLE?

ALSO... ANYONE HAVE THE SAME REEL THAT CAN GIVE ME SOME TIPS? THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use the left hand version, that reel is really easy to use and not prone to backlashing unless you are either really whipping the lure out or not applying some thumb pressure to the reel as the lure starts to drop on the cast.

You may have the tension set a little too loose on the reel. If you just release the lure it should drop fairly slowly to the ground and the spool should stop when the lure hits the ground. If it overruns when the lure hits the ground, the tension is too loose until you get more used to the reel.

I love mine.

It is slightly possible that you have a line that the reel does not like. A stiff line might be springing off the reel, I use braid on mine, but any limp line should work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the left hand version, that reel is really easy to use and not prone to backlashing unless you are either really whipping the lure out or not applying some thumb pressure to the reel as the lure starts to drop on the cast.

You may have the tension set a little too loose on the reel. If you just release the lure it should drop fairly slowly to the ground and the spool should stop when the lure hits the ground. If it overruns when the lure hits the ground, the tension is too loose until you get more used to the reel.

I love mine.

It is slightly possible that you have a line that the reel does not like. A stiff line might be springing off the reel, I use braid on mine, but any limp line should work.
Thanks man! I love mine too & can cast it good! But atleast half of the time it does backlash, not bad... but yet a backlash! I've tried all types of tension on it... & still the same thing! So thats why I was thinking something to do with the line... maybe too much. (I'm using Berkley Trilene 12lb. xl smooth casting monofilament line)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey have any of u heard of the electrical tape trick?? I've seen it on Bill Dance & on youtube. Looks like it works for helping backlashes not go so deep!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I've heard & seen on fishing shows (Bill Dance & The boys) that line conditioner greatly helps too! Does anyone use that stuff? They said it helps with better casting & backlashing...

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Also, I've heard & seen on fishing shows (Bill Dance & The boys) that line conditioner greatly helps too! Does anyone use that stuff? They said it helps with better casting & backlashing...
I use Real Magic - definitely helps with casting distance. But that reduced friction going through the guides also speeds up the spool and opens more opportunity for backlashes. I also think it helps in picking out backlashes with braid. Its a balancing act, but worth it when you get it dialed in.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I have 2 of the same reels that you have....no problems casting either one. Maybe go a little heavier
like 14-15 pound line on your reel. Some reels just don't do good with light lines.

Tighten the tensioner up just a tad and work from there. Its either a line or caster problem..:) Lots of time
its the line...

OR...

The lure is to light to try to cast with a baitcaster. I always use my heavy lures on my baitcasters. If I want
to cast light lures I grab a spinning rod.

<*)))))>{

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've found reels with [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, san serif]centrifugal braking systems are easiest to cast without back lashing. Until recently my reels only have magnetic which IMHO sucks compared to centrifugal. I'll only buy centrifugal from this point on (or dual braking).
[/FONT]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 2 of the same reels that you have....no problems casting either one. Maybe go a little heavier
like 14-15 pound line on your reel. Some reels just don't do good with light lines.

Tighten the tensioner up just a tad and work from there. Its either a line or caster problem..:) Lots of time
its the line...

OR...

The lure is to light to try to cast with a baitcaster. I always use my heavy lures on my baitcasters. If I want
to cast light lures I grab a spinning rod.

<*)))))>{
What lb. line do have on yours? & What type of line do u use? Thanks for all your help! I'm gonna go to my "practice pond" right down the street from my house....& it dont have not 1 da*m fish in it either! Which sucks but it gives me a good spot to practice my casting, etc...

·
Registered
941 Posts
I use 12lb Stren on mine and can whip the snot out of it and it will not backlash. My tensioner is about to fall off. Have done everything known to man to get it to loosen but to no avail. Usually throw big deep divers but can pitch a 1/4oz jig about 10-15yds. Its mated to a 7ft Med rod.

Reactions: LIL TRIPP

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay guys, i went to this little test pond i have right down the road from my house & did some practice casting & tuning & I got it figured out! I can cast it as hard or as soft as i want with NO backlashes at all! Thanks a million for the tips guys!!!

I'm thinking about getting me some reel magic or something too. Does anyone have any tips for that?

·
Registered
207 Posts
ive got like 20. My fav bass reels are my quantum code reel, and my quantum Iron IR3.. my fav catfishing reels are my quantum iron IR3W (wide spool) and my Tsunami TS3000.... and my Penn 209... I love all my reels....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.