NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello North Carolina! How Do You Do!
My soldier is stationed at Fort Bragg. We both love to fish. He grew up fishing for Brown Trout and I grew up fishing for Walleye and Pike.
Both of us are anxious to do some freshwater and saltwater fishing in North Carolina. When does it start getting warm enough in the Central Piedmont area?

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is warm enough year round to fish. I also grew up fishing for the same species as you. We fished year round and so for me it never stops or is too cold.
You will find this site informative, warm and very interested in sharing.
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Welcome EmlTowe - not sure when it got cold enough to stop! Weather might postpone a trip or two and favor different species but there are fish to be caught year 'round. Plus, if you never stop you never have to winterize or de-winterize (anything but your wardrobe)...

Crappie are kings of the Piedmont right now - great for eating or just to get out and feel something on the other end of the line. Some stripers are still being caught at Jordan, but they had a really tough summer this year so pickings are slim. No pike, but we've got chain pickerel in some waters - I think they're still pretty active in the winters when you can find them.

Pre-spawn Largemouth Bass fishing in the piedmont starts in february, but the real action picks up toward the end of April.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the party and thank you for your families service to this great nation! Central NC will be hot n heavy come april-may !

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Check out the FAAN. It is free and we are having a meeting on Thursday evening. Just a bunch of anglers getting together and talk fishing. Hope to see you there. If you need directions just ask and we'll help you out.

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
EmlTowe
NEVER TOO COLD TO FISH HERE IN NC BUT IF ITS A FIGHTING FISH YOUR AFTER TRY SOME OF THE BRACKISH WATERS FOR BOWFIN,ALL YOU NEED IS SOME STRONG LINE AND SOME VERY SHARP HOOKS TO SET IN THERE JAWS WITH THERE MOUTH FULL OF TEETH AND SOME CUT MULLET FOR BAIT AND YOUR SET FOR A FUN FILLED DAY OF AWESOME POWER AND NASTY SPLASHES,THERE THE SOUTHERN VERSION OF PIKE IN MY BOOKS ;)

Reactions: tcfisherman

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Tim, I just stumbled on to this thread. Someone mentioned chain pickeral. I haven't caught one in a while, but I do remember how much fun it is to catch them. I'm not sure my memory is right, but it seemed to me that someone once said that chain pickeral did their spawning in february. Does anyone know for sure?
Tim, nice bowfin.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
dennise,
i do not knowfor sure and i used to fish the heck out of them in p.a but it would seem about right since im starting to see them caught on the new river where i fish the most.
dennise thats a small bowfin and i bet youd love to catch them from the yak and where i fish the new river its sweet for a yak

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Dennis you can catch a Jack, aka, chain pickerel with any bright yellow color spinner. Shysters, beetle spins, small spinnerbaits any thing of that nature the jacks will hammer them. Be sure you don't try to lip one of these toothy critters.

Tim, love to see Dennis with a 10 pound bowfin dragging him around, that yak would be a blurr.:D

Thanks for the info Tim, I found ya.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Em Towe, almost forgot to say howdy and welcome to the board. I'm a newbie here so not sure what is on the low down.:p

I'm retired from the Army out of Bragg. Spent 19 out of 20 years there, never there but stationed there if you know what I mean. So hope things are good for ya.

Man this is a time of feast or famine for fishing freshwater in your area. Starting right now if you have free time on pretty days start hitting the ponds and lakes to see if the bass will hit. Also a good time for crappie and yellow perch.

Since you are stationed at Bragg go to the Game Warden station and get a base fishing license, you will also need a North Carolina fishing license. There you should pick up a map with all the ponds and lakes on Bragg shown. All those lakes are stocked and well managed. Just because there are a lot of personnel on Bragg does not mean the fishing is slack, it is just the opposite. Most of these guys do not fish on base and go to other places.

Start right at the Game warden station and fish the lake at the Rod and Gun club. It is chock full of bass, I know some better than 10 pounds are in it. Shocking surveys taken about 15 years ago proved that. While you are at the Game Warden station check out there photo albums and you will see the type of fishing that is there.

Give me a holler and try to steer you towards some good fishing holes, do you have a boat?? Cape Fear river also some mighty fine catfishing, think it holds the record cat for North carolina.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
EmlTowe- As mentioned above the fishing here doesn't stop and there's plenty going on around Fayetteville. CoachD mentioned joining the FAAN , we are always excited to have new folks join our group. Plenty of fishing on Fort Bragg. Also, the Cape Fear river is near by and Lake Jordan is just over and hour away. If you want to try your hand at Saltwater you can be at the beach in about 2 and half hours. Check us out. We'll be glad to have you come join us.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
SCOTT,
MAN THAT5 WOULD BE SOMETHING TO SEE,BY THE WAY WHEN YA GONNA COME DO SOME FINNING WITH ME ON THE NEW RIVER?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Maybe we ought to try that place with the crappie, get a bunch of minnows and try to hit em hard, nothing like some fresh crappie for supper.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts