NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very quick video that I tried to make funny but in reality was a pretty hard kick in the teeth. Fished 2 hours with no bites and then checked the underwater camera the next day to confirm my suspicions that all the rain had pushed the sheep somewhere else. I was VERY wrong about them not being there. Using the same methods that have been great for me in the past yielded no fish at all and I can't understand why. Using 30lb fluorocarbon leader and 1oz bottom sweeper jigs with a mix of big fiddlers and mud crabs. I've considered trying a dropper loop with live bait hooks or maybe even a Carolina rig but I've used those in the past and the bottom sweepers have always yielded the best results for me so far. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Very interesting stuff! I do have another rig I use other than a sheepshead jig sometime. A carolina style rig but instead of a sliding egg weight and swivel I use a 3/4 oz trolling sinker. I seem do better with that rig in the winter for some reason. But the day you show in the video I don't know if it would have made any difference at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Also have you tried sand fleas? Man they are so under rated! And you can get a ton if you get to the beach at the right time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also have you tried sand fleas? Man they are so under rated! And you can get a ton if you get to the beach at the right time.

I have used sand fleas many times and they have never outperformed mud crabs or fiddler crabs in my experience but they will for sure catch fish and are by far the easiest bait to harvest in this intense summer heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts