NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here to North Carolina, arriving from Louisiana where I'm accustumed to catching copiuous amounts reds and trout. I just perchased an new 16 foot skiff and plan on going out next weekend but I would like a few hints as some close places to go. I'm use to fishing marshes and small water ways...anything similar here? I'm ready to challenge Carolina's coast and put it up to the test compared to Louisiana's coastal paradise!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Welcome to NCAngler and to NC!

We have greta redfishing here in NC as well. Like LA we have marshes and small water that hold plenty of reds. However right now the best places to look for them are under docks in the ICW and docks on some of the bigger channels. I'm still seeing some on the grass but the docks are hloding the biggest ones right now.

What part of the coast do you plan on fishing?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hi Pinno1, welcome to NCAngler.

There are lots of choices and options but let's start with a basic set-up and maybe others can chime in with some other options.

For Drum in the creeks and marshes, light tackle is the way to go. I use a 7' med. light spinning rod with a good reel matched to it (I like the Shimano brand but Penn and Okuma are good too). Spool it with 15 pound Braided line - Power Pro is a good one. Then add a little bit of Flurocarbon leader. (or to keep it simple, use 12 lb. mono instead of the braid but you will get more breakoffs around the docks and such).

If using live bait, a Carolina rig works well - slide a 1/2 ounce egg sinker on your line, then a plastic bead, then a small swivel. Below the swivel tie on a snelled hook on about 18-24 inches of line. Use a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook. Run the hook through the nostrials of a menhaden or just below the eyes of mullet.

For artificail baits, I like using a 1/4 or 3/8 ounce jighead with a Berkley Gulp! jerk bait. Just tie the jighead directly to your line. Some folks like to use spinner baits too.

For drum the current regulation allow you to keep one drum per day that is at least 18" inches but not more than 27" in total length.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Wow... sure sounds a lot more fun than writing programs.... at almost midnight....

<sigh>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sunset Harbor NC

Thanks for the post on the right equipment for catching red fish. We will be fishing in Sunset Harbor area near Holden Beach and the Lockwood Folly Bay. Have anyone had any luck catching redfish in this area? Some of the locals stated that catching one is rare here.

Thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome aboard pinn01. Topsail is is right with the rigs, I may take exception to his choice of bait :p, but those rigs do the trick. Fortunately, those same rigs are good for flounder too! Don't be surprised if you wind up catching a flatfish.

Don't tell Topsail Angler I said it ;), but the Gulp! baits'll probably work fine. I've just had phenomally bad luck with them. Everyone else seems to do just fine with them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
from holden beach you are only a short boat ride to both Little River jetties and Southport where the possibilities are endless. Davis canal on Oak Island has many docks that hold reds as do the rocky wall around the entrance to Wildlife creek. unlike cajun country we have 2 tide changes here and you need to fish the tide appropriately.

reiddog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.