NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a friend that trout are biting at the head of Jones Bay, near RE Seafood.

Last year heard good reports from Campbell Creek, launching from the Wilderness Boat Ramp several miles east of Aurora. Tried it, got skunked, but a good paddle anyway. Now's that time of year again.

Any advice for which might be a better bet for a Sunday paddle?

Any ideas on how to rig for them this season?

Steve

·
Registered
593 Posts
Campbell is historically a good place for trout, but its a long paddle from that ramp to the mouth of the creek at the ICW. My recent experience, over the last 8 days, has been that the trout are at the mouth of the creeks but have not moved into them. That launch point will probably be great in another 3-4 weeks, but for now I think you need to fish closer to the rivers and the ICW. In fact, you will find some current in or near the ICW, and that may be the ticket.

Jones Bay? Yeah, that can be good too, and that stretch will put you between the Neuse and the ICW ditch. Again, some current to work. But, I do not know how you access that point in a yak. If you are willing to drive that far, you might want to try the Bay River, and put in around Vandemere— there is a public ramp there and I have caught some quality fish there in the fall.

Otherwise, my next best advice would be to get yourself further down the Pamlico, like North Creek, Rose Bay, or Swanquarter. Or Wrights Creek public launch on the lower Pungo, or in Belhaven.

I truly hope this helps—good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Trout are still biting on plastics, Gulps have been working for us but I do have to admit it's been two weeks since I last wet a line and water temps are tumbling so that may have changed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have been using 1/8 ounce jigs, and the Z-Man Trout Trick in a Bad Shad color. When it gets really cold and the water temps fall dramatically, I will switch over to the Mirrolure MR17, fished very very slowly.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The low 40’s at night next week should do the job…maybe the cool weather will stick around after that and the fish will be more predictable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up going to Wright's Creek Boating Access to try the mouth of the Pungo River and that creek.

That's a long drive from Greenville. Better to make such trips day trips, not afternoons.

No fish at all. Tried trolling a Johnson spoon with a scented Mr Twister end attached, tried a Redfish Magic with white shad paddletail. I pass this along to try to contribute to the knowledge base of "here's what doesn't work"

Nice paddle, though - beautiful location!

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts