NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy fished in the N Creek classic this past sat and had the worst day fishing I've experienced in years. We fished from Germantown to Swan Quarter to Oyster cr in lowland to South Creek and back to N Creek and had one small flounder and a striper to show for it. The water was low everywhere we stopped and hot. At 12 pm it was 84 degrees. I think the water warmed to fast and the fish moved deep. Didnt see any bait besides some glass minnows. Did anybody have any luck this past weeekend? Im thinkin of trying the Nuese but i've heard the same reports over there. Im a Pamlico junkie but this kind of fishing has got me thinkin about trying somewhere else.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
I'm fishing mainly top water but the action as been slow. I've been managing a few but the fish per hour fishing ratio is embarrassing. I am seeing lot of fish in the water. Not just bow wakes but actual drum as they swim by. I'm no sharpie which doesn't help but it is still slow considering the fish are definitely there (here?).
Even switching to other artificial hasn't done much so is stay with top water 75%.

·
Registered
69 Posts
RP,
Welcome to the club. Generally speaking the fishing on the Pamlico/Pungo has been the as bad as anyone has seen I many years over the past 4-5 weeks, confirmed by 2 reputable guides I have spoken with. My theory is that the cold wet weather we had during the last 2 weeks of April and 1st week of May drove everything out. I have only seen semi-respectable amounts of bait beginning to return to the pungo over the last 2 weeks, so hopefully the predators will be along soon. Last weekend I decided not to launch a boat, and went on foot to my favorite White Perch hole along a bridge embankment, and managed 15 of the feisty critters on ultralight tackle in about 90 minutes. Probably could have filled the cooler if I had stayed longer. So nice to feel some tuggage for a change. Sometimes getting back to basics is sweet. Hang in there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't think it is only Pamlico and Pungo at least not for me. In last month fished Pamlico, Neuse and New river and creeks off all these rivers and NO trout. Few small flounder, rock,drum or a blue fish. I have looked back at my records and never been this long without catching some trout., ( over 5 years of data). All I can say if it gets any worse for me I will save a lot of money on gas!
Really think trout freeze was one of the worse NC has ever had that I know about. Lot of my fishing friends have stopped looking until the fall, guess I will keep looking once per week.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
FWIW - in VA creek there was no freeze and there are plenty of drum for me NOT to catch. I don't know about the trout however. Just saying that it's slow even with the fish being there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've seen lots of trout being caught off the piers, nada in the new river. Right now the best drum fishing has been at night on the incoming tide. I'm hoping this full moon changes things. Unfortuently this week fishing gonna have to dodge storms it seems.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Three hours in on/off torrential rain this AM. Not so much as a swim by. I'd say the bait activity was 5% of what I normally see. Serves me right. Shouldn't have gone out in this rain.
You can bet I'll do it again though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.