NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for Wilmington boat owners...

What are the rules in and around Wilmington for boat owners keeping their boat at their house ? Looking at homes for sale on-line...you don't see any boats....I understand that the house for sale would move their boat before realtor starts snapping photos...but you don't even see any neighboring houses with boats. Do you have to "hide" them or store them at a boatyard?....and 'bout how much does that cost ??

Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
park em"

Hey B8nW8 great name! Most areas here in NC just require you keep a valid tag on the trailer and don't let things get junky lookin' even in the best neighborhoods. I wouldnt worry about keeping the boat at home. I'm sure you will be able too unless you get an apartment or condo. Be sure and ask before you sign just to be safe!! And if I may ask, why Wilmington?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
B8NW8 -depends - Wilmington has no ordinances that I know of regarding boats on private property. However some developments have home owner associations and most of those do have rules about parking boats/trailers/cars.

If you drive through my sub division, you will see a boat at about 60 - 70% of the homes. We even have our own boat ramp on the intercoastal waterway. My buddy lives in a different development further inland and they can't store boats in their yard if it would be visible from the road. So it just depends, always check before buying/renting.

There are dry stack storage areas at most marinas here but I don't know what they charge. Most of the boats there seem to be larger ones that don't trailer well or people from other parts of the state that come down for week-ends and don't want to haul their boats down everytime.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Check the covenants on any home you want to buy BEFORE you buy the house. Be suspicious of realtors that cannot provide the covenants in a community with an HOA. Wilmington may be more liberal than most, but a lot of HOAs require the boat to be garaged, or behind a fence, or some other nonsense to keep it hidden from the view of busybodies.

Better yet, don't buy in any community with an HOA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if I may ask, why Wilmington?
I'm a manager in the car business and my wife is an RN. I'm considering Wilmington area for proximity to water...:) ...and a good place to work until I can retire. Thanks

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I stand corrected regarding the ordinances in Wilmington. I just learned that Wilmington does have an ordinace that took effect in 2005 barring boats from being parked in driveways or on the curb.

Don't seem right. You can still park an old rusty heap of mangled metal, long since resembling a car, but not a shiney new well kept boat.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like you need to consider the Greenville or New Bern areas. Plenty of medical jobs, lots of Car dealers and plenty of water access...and no nasty rules on boat parking...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
shhh Topsail!!! I'm trying to keep enough of em flushed off the beach until I can afford to move there....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.