NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Whoops! I believe the old BBQ debate has been fired up. I grew up in the piedmont and still reside here part time, but I like the eastern NC whole hog BBQ the best. Kinda partial to Parkers BBQ in Wilson.:)

barbeque-French, from beard to tail

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Skylight INN (Jones' BBQ) in Ayden... That's good stuff!!!! Parkers in Greenville is my second...
When I first came to NC in 1980 I wouldn't eat the stuff at all. (I also had never had chili served ON a hamburger, and where I'm from "all the way" meant lettuce tomatoe and mayo, not mustard chili and onions, and who would put SLAW on a sandwich!!)...I was a hickory smoked, slow cooked, tomato based sauced TN/SC BBQer and this stuff in NC looked like someone had already ate it!! I went to a pig pickin' one fall, with my HS sweety and I was hooked, slaw and all!
Skylight Inn, Ayden

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm partial (mainly cause I worked there many many moons ago) to a little hole in the wall place called "Ole Time BBQ". It's on Hillsborough St. in Raleigh about 2 miles from Cary. Good eastern style BBQ.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I'm partial to A&M Grill in Mebane (great BBQ sauce!) ...
A&M is high on my list too - we'll have to arrange a lunch meeting sometime! I'm especially fond of how they pipe the smoke out into the parking lot and hook you before you even get to the door...

My all-timer is probably Cooks, near Lexington (very close to High Rock). Hwy 8 south from 85 for several miles, right on Rockcrusher Rd (how can you beat that for a name?). Turn left at a gravel road (valliant) til it ends in their parking "lot". Worth it just for the drive, and then you come to the "course chopped";)
!!
cooks barbeque loc: southmont, nc - Google Maps
Its a completely unacceptable 100mile one-way lunchtime drive from work in RTP (that I've made more than once:))

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Wilburs, Kings, Parkers, Ole Time, etc... can't hold a candle to B's Barbecue in Greenville. Even the road it's on is named after the place. They don't even have a phone cause when they run out of BBQ they close for the day. Better get there early.

B's Barbecue, Greenville

HOW COULD I FORGET B'S!!!!!!!!!! :eek: OH YEAH!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Being geographically challenged I'd have to say the best place to get BBQ in my neck of the woods is right here at home. I can't just go out and order up a good plate of BBQ. You can get all the BBQ you could possibly eat around here but it isn't worth two cents. I stopped in SC's most famous BBQ joint down in Columbia, SC. It was awful in my book. Luckily, when I was young, I learned how to do it right. I had a great uncle that knew how it was done. I was lucky enough to get to help him. He would usually cook 4 or 5 shoats at a time and you were in for a LONG day. My mother begged him for his sauce recipe for years and he wouldn't give it up until his BBQing days were over. I've only seen it once. LOL The main ingredients...vinegar and pepper. Beef Is a whole 'nother story. I have to go to TX for the good BBQ beef. I can't even get close at home. (It helps to have mesquite growing near by).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sinkerman, Apparently you haven't tried Henrys in Mauldin and Simpsonville, down your way they are the best around and as far as the "famous" joint in Columbia I agree the BBQ is really bad there.
Here in Asheville the best is 12 Bones down by the river, open 11-4, mon-fri lunch only a line is at the door at 10:30 and lasts till 4:00 every day. some of the finest BBQ I have ever put in my mouth and I'm one of those guys who haunts BBQ contests so I have hadf my fair share of good stuff.
P.S. I'm doing a whole pig Thurs night for my offices lunch on Friday:D:D:D:D:D mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
353 Posts
I prefer Parker's but only the one in Wilson. Next would be B's, then Wilbur's and then Doug Saul's in Nashville, NC. Dennis Rogers, who once wrote for the N&O did a story about his dinning there and how it was some of the best he'd ever put a fork to. First exit for Nashville on 64 coming from Raleigh. Third exit off 64 at Nashville coming from the east. About a 1/2 mile headed back into Nashville on the right. Cinderblock building, take out and seating, folks have been there working over 30 years and they make it all right on site.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The worst Eastern NC BBQ I have ever had was pretty good. Seriously however, its hard to beat Parker's, Wilbur's and Smithfield BBQ. I just try to stay away from that stuff they serve in South Carolina with yellow mustard sauce. I was in Wilson Saturday night and had Parkers and brought a pound home and had it tonight. I think Smithfield BBQ in Fayetteville is my favorite.

One of these days I gotta make it to Lexington as I have heard the BBQ is great there.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like wilbur's because they still cook it on open coals which is hard to find these days. It gives it that grill taste which is hard to beat. Never eatin at B's, I'll defenitely have to check it out sometime.

Oh yeah, heres an idea. A cook off at the next meet and green WHENEVER we get the chance to. No rush

Just an idea....

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
you are talking to a guy that lives 20 miles from some the best bbq place's in the country.. i like speedy's or cooks in lexington. luhrs used to be good but recently burnt to the ground.. i like the coarse chopped myself but i have to admit NOTHING beats bbq cooked over an open wood pit..the gas cookers just stink..

crappie
dave would win hands down..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I like wilbur's because they still cook it on open coals which is hard to find these days. It gives it that grill taste which is hard to beat. Never eatin at B's, I'll defenitely have to check it out sometime.

Oh yeah, heres an idea. A cook off at the next meet and green WHENEVER we get the chance to. No rush

Just an idea....

I'm IN!!!!!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.