NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think the answer to the problem in the original post lies in quality control regulations, that's the USDA's job and they need to keep a close eye on Indonesia and China.

Let's face it, wildstocks just can't support the demand in the US for seafood. Bumper stickers like "friends don't let friends eat imported seafood" are cute but not realistic. I read a report earlier this year that stated that 85% of the shrimp consumed in the USA is imported and most of that is farm raised. The US coast can not supply us with a 600% increase in the current local supply which is what it would take to replace that 85% of imported shrimp. Ditto with Salmon and so on. No imports, no farm raised seafood would mean we all would have to eat a lot less seafood.

Don't get me wrong, I buy local seafood anytime I can ('cept when I'm lucky enough to catch my own) and I support our local fisherman in other ways too. But a "local" only supply of seafood is impractical at this point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.