NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to go out on my first saltwater fishing trip ever this weekend, Sunday to be extact. Got some tackle, going to invest in a rod/reel this week. Went to the saltwater fish seminar this past saturday, and it was great. Learned so much. After looking at maps of the coast, ie neuse, pamlico, trent, roanoke etc, I see ALOT of water. SOOO, where should I start?? I'm going in the kayak and I want to target trout, stripers and/or puppy drum. Would love some company if anyone can make it this weekend. Sunday would be best for me. Any advice helps. Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey, If it's your first time yak fishing then I'd try and find some calm water with not much current. Start from the dock and work your way towards a cove/creek and troll along the way while paddling. You'll get snagged and prob loose a few rigs ect but once you learn the bottom/ledges ect of whatever area and spots you find. Don't expect to paddle right into fish. I'd target puppy drum, Can catch them on a vast variety of tackle and techniques. As far as a rod/reel setup, get something you can cast and reel in for a few hours. Reeling in drum on light tackle is fun and very efficient! Good luck most of all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm ready to go out on my first saltwater fishing trip ever this weekend, Sunday to be extact. Got some tackle, going to invest in a rod/reel this week. Went to the saltwater fish seminar this past saturday, and it was great. Learned so much. After looking at maps of the coast, ie neuse, pamlico, trent, roanoke etc, I see ALOT of water. SOOO, where should I start?? I'm going in the kayak and I want to target trout, stripers and/or puppy drum. Would love some company if anyone can make it this weekend. Sunday would be best for me. Any advice helps. Thanks

Michael
I am going out Saturday, I want to explore some areas I found on google. I will PM you, If you are a bit inexperienced I would rather have you come with me than go alone. This time of year can be dangerous with the water being cold and all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Was out yesterday afternoon, on the incoming tide up Freeman's creek. Cold, wet, threw about everything I had. No bites. Saw a few swirls but not even any signs of fish in the area. I'm thinking saturday should be a good day and I plan getting out in the am for a while. Would be awesome to meet up and gang up on some flounder/pups possibly trout.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Was out yesterday afternoon, on the incoming tide up Freeman's creek. Cold, wet, threw about everything I had. No bites. Saw a few swirls but not even any signs of fish in the area. I'm thinking saturday should be a good day and I plan getting out in the am for a while. Would be awesome to meet up and gang up on some flounder/pups possibly trout.
It's a little too early for a consistent flounder bite but as the water warms they'll start biting around here. I usually don't have great flounder success until May, but others around here might start getting into them in April. Fish are a bit sluggish still, the drum I've found haven't been very willing to bite unless its worked real slow right in front of them with pro-cured soft plastics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.