NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would y'all recommend a rookie angler with light tackle, no boat, no 4x4, to go looking for some salty water for a day trip? I've gone to Hatteras a few times, but that's too much driving for what I'd consider a day trip. I'd been thinking about Wrightsville, but a buddy suggested that Emerald Isle would be well worth the extra driving time.

What do you guys suggest?
Lefty

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Either Wrightsville Beach or Emerald Isle would work well this time of year. You might also consider Topsail Island - it's a little closer for you (less than 2 hours from Cary) than either of the other two and in between geographically so about the same type of fishing. Topsail Beach, Surf City and North Topsail are the three towns on the Island (from North to South). Topsail has some nice piers, easy public access to the beaches for surf fishing, a nice public boat ramp in Surf City and charter boats if you are so inclined.

Good Luck and tight lines!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hf...
How crazy does Topsail get around holidays? I'd like to try to squeeze in a day trip before the end of the year... would you particularly recommend avoiding the last weekend in november?
Thanx- lefty

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Topsail would be my pick under the given circumstances. Hampstead fishing is dead on with his advice as usual. If you contact him a few days before you leave I'm sure he will fill you in on the current state of fishing around the area. If you want to chase false albacore I would suggest Atlantic Beach on Emerald Island as it is a world class location with fish being abundant from beach, pier and the FT. Macon Jetties. They can also be caught anywhere along the coast but Cape Lookout to Atlantic Beach is the hot spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.