NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bass boat and no GPS and want to do some Cobia and King Mackerel fishing in NC. I have done some in Florida sight fishing for cobia with bucktail/cobia jigs bare and with squid attached often with rays and turtles, and king mackerel fishing with 40lb steel leader treble hook and cigar minnow for bait. What are some good places and techniques for catching these fish in north carolina. I will be traveling from Greenville area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There have been about 12 people look at this so far and no one has replied I have heard Morehead City is a good place could anyone. Does anyone have anything else to offer or get more specific about where to fish in Morehead City?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Jacob,

In the evenings, on glassy or semi glassy days, you can find spanish, blues adn the occassional kings running off hte end of the piers in Atlantic beach. The inlet to get out there can be rough at times so watch yourself if you are using a Bass boat.
The turning basin in MHC/Radio island has calmer water and is known to hold Cobia. The piers and docks in MHC and Beaufort are home to some nice size flounder if you can find live manhaden for bait. You'd fish them almost like shiners back home in florida. Use a slip rig with a 24 in 30 lb leader and then swivel off with a 1 oz weight. pitch it up against structure or docks in the marina areas.. you can often find some nice flounder in there. I am land locked adn all the information I just gave you, I've gotten from local captains or from reading NC fish and game.

Good luck and tightlines.

rye

·
Registered
112 Posts
jacob,

the area behind shakleford banks is one of the hottest places this time of year for cobia. they will come in on the high tide and run in the deep channel behind the island but at low tide they head back out. there is a good artical in last months issue of nc sportsman on the subject. be careful crossing the inlet area in a bass boat,,,it can get to rolling some times. when you get behind the island,,,use a large piece of cut bait or live bait on a fish finder rig in the deep channel and stick with it. if you do hook up......don't bring him in the boat green, ofcourse you already know this if you've caught one before. hth :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate yalls help but have a couple of questions about the responses you gave me.

Randy- What type of chum and chum rig where they talking about in that link you sent me?

Gator Man- Where is Shakleford Banks and what is considered the backside? What are you calling a fish finder rig/How is it rigged? Cast or Troll?
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Chum is basically ground up fish parts. you can buy it at any tackle shop at the coast. It will be frozen in bags and you can either buy an inexpensive chum bag and tie it off the back of the boat when slow trolling or anchored/drifting, or you can get a bucket with holes in it and put the chum in there. The chum breaks down as it melts and drifts out the holes of the bag or bucket. The fish particles and smell attract hungry fish like cobia.

Guys is that a fair description of the process? Anyone want to add to it? :cool:

jacobmarykota said:
Randy- What type of chum and chum rig where they talking about in that link you sent me?

·
Registered
112 Posts
ncangler,,,couldn't have said it better myself. shackleford banks is the island between beaufort inlet (near the turning basin at morehead city) and bardins inlet...where the cape lookout lighthouse sets. lots of wild horses are on the island. by behind it i mean....fishing on the sound side and not the ocean side of the island. from beaufort inlet toward the marshes headed towards the lighthouse is a fairly deep channel (20 to 27 ft.) for about a miles before it gets iffffy. from there you need to stay in the channel. get local knowledge before you go to this area.

a fish finder rig is nothing more than a carolina rig in bass fishing except that the hardware used is a little different. you can buy sliding weight clips so you can use bank sinkers to hold the bait in the current. the rig is fished on the bottom either anchored or drifting. caught lots of nice flounder in that area with this rig too. most outside ( ocean) cobia fishing is done by site casting but inside fishing is more consistent on the bottom. :) hth

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
When you land a cobia, be sure you hit him in the head with a ball bat and if you miss on the first swing, everybody run to cabin or below deck, lock the door -don't forget the dog. If you don't have a cabin climb to the highest point on your boat for about 30 min. or you may want to consider jumping overboard until things calm down.:D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
For serious note about cobia fishing,I have done well sight casting for cobia fishing on the ocean side off core banks. I cruise zig - zagging from just behind breakers to about 1/4 mile offshore.First obstacle is to find a rare day when winds are light. Cobia will swim near the surface and can spotted usably in groups of three to four. If you cannot spot them look for a small pod of menhaden not moving. Cobia will cut small pods of menhaden out of larger schools.They will encircle these small pods and feed on them at will. If they are not feeding you can hit him on the head with a lure and he will not take it. The key to arrousing him in this situation is to throw a lure smack in the middle of their private menhaden stash. He thinks another preditor is after their private food and you have made him mad from the get go.HANG ON!! I use metals Hopkins,etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input guys. Fojoloy what are you calling core banks? Is this just right off the coast of morehead up through atlantic beach. The reason I have been asking all of this is that I like to Cobia fish but have never been in NC I am going to try to make a trip down there this weekend but am having problems locating someone I know around here to go with me so it looks like I may venture out by myself this weekend to see what I can discover with the info you fine people have helped me with. Once again I appreciate yalls help.
Jacob

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Jacob ---Core banks are about 30 miles north of Atlantic Beach and run from Cape Lookout to Portsmouth Island at Ocracoke inlet. Unfortunally there is not a decent inlet in between. Drum inlet is located across from the village of Atlantic,NC(not Atlantic Beach) but it is dangerous on a good day. It is very shallow and unmarked. This is where I go out when weather permitting. I have downsized from24ft to 18ft so I definitely will be picking days even having local knowledge of this inlet. Good luck on your fishing trip.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Jacob, Key in ncwildlife.org-- under topics-- click on boating/waterways--then click on division of enineering services --then click 3S-- Find Straits Landing on North River and you are there with driving instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also from Greenville, this Friday (6/11) I will be heading out to Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle for King, Spanish and Cobia fishing from Piers. It's just over an hour drive from here. Last October, myself and a friend hooked along with about 10 other people crowding the end of the pier hooked up with roughly 200 blues and Spanish in an hour. I wish you the best of luck in your quest. Any questions feel free to contact me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.