NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading up to North Topsail this weekend. I'm not sure how much time I'll have for fishing (gotta keep the girlfriend happy), but I'll be very disappointed if I'm at the beach and don't at least do some.

We're gonna be oceanfront on Seashore Dr and I got a new surf rod for Christmas that I haven't used yet, so I was thinking about just soaking some bait out in front of the house at the very least. Would there be much to catch?

Anywhere else close by that I could possibly fish from shore for a couple of hours early in the morning that might yield a fish or two?

I'm going back in June for a week and maybe renting a kayak, so I'll have more options then, but I'd be kicking myself if I return on Sunday afternoon and didn't get a line wet this weekend.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
I'd be soaking some fresh mullet on a circle hook in a sand spike. Keep a hopkins spoon on another rod so when the blues blitz you're ready.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Along with the above advice you may also want to hit Sea View pier ($9 per rod). There you can plug for spanish and blues toward the end of the pier or hit up the panfish towards the suds. May even drag a bait or 2 for some flounder action...:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! This is very helpful.

TA, great info. I remember the pilings to the north now that you mention it and I can see them both from the satellite views on Bing Maps. Pretty cool that you can see the shadows in the water like that. I remember where that ramp is in front of the pilings to the south too. I'll definitely try one or both of those spots. This is when I really need a beach cart!

Scott, I might try one of the piers. I haven't done any pier fishing in a long time and would love to get back out there. The good thing about the surf, though, is that I can stay within walking distance of the house and my girlfriend can sit in the sand and read. I'll probably go to Sea View for sure when I'm up there in June.

Any advice on a good place to throw a cast net for some finger mullet?

Also, what about rigs, just a standard 2 hook bottom rig? That's what I've always used, but if something would be better, I'd love some advice. I'm still relatively new to surf fishing.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4....plenty of bait moving around in that area. Most times it holds loads of small menhaden. Finger mullet also criuse the outer edges and within casting range of a net.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts