NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to heading out to little switz and cherokee on april 5. ive never been out that way so i dont know exactly where to go. I want to mainly to some fly fishing on the rivers and creeks . So my question is where to go and what flys to use. i was guessing nymphs but i may be wrong. if you guys got any advice i could use it
:confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi surfnfly, Welcome to N.C angler..... In the little switz area you might want to give the South Toe river a shot, it sports a catch and release section that is fly fishing only. The best section starts at the Black mtn campground it's not far from little switz just a short drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

In Cherokee my favorite place to fish is the Raven Fork River, it's just above town on Big Cove road.

You should be able to fish dry flies March browns have been hatching for the last month with a few Caddis mixed in.

Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome surfnflyangler. Nantahala is right on. I believe he is one of the most knowledgable trout fishermen on this site. His experience is of the utmost value to us. March Browns hatching all along the mountains and black gnats. Nymphs are also good with any bead head hares ear, zug-bug, pheasant tail, or prince. I caught some nice rainbows this past week, but I was in the northern area and not where the big browns hang out. They seem to like that southern region more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
surfandfly, boy you're all over the place, it must be nice!!!

In the Sylva/ Dillsburo area you can't beat the Tuckasegee river it's Delayed Harvest
from oct thru the end of may and provides excellent fishing.

Reactions: surfnflyangler

·
Registered
146 Posts
'Nantahala' is right on, the Tuckasegee River DH section will be great fishing from now through the first Saturday in June. One note of caution....the Tuck is a fairly large, tailwater river and the water levels can change quickly when power is being generated at the upstream dam. It is very wadeable and clear during low water periods but can get tricky during peak flow. Fishing tactics should also vary based on the stage of water flow. Large (#8 or bigger) bead head wooly buggers in black, brown or dark green work best when the water is high, fast and off-color. Downsize the wooly buggers or switch to droppers with bead head nymphs (are you fly fishing?) as the water level declines.
If you venture over to the Bryson City area, you may want to check out some streams in the GSM National Park. Deep Creek has easy access and holds some big, wild browns about 3 miles in from the parking area. Or drive further west to the Nantahala River DH section for some of the best dry fly fishing in NC.

·
Registered
359 Posts
surfanfly, All these guys are right on.anywhere on the reservation is good the raven fork, up BIG COVE rd is excellent,the oconoluftee is more conjested but I`ve caught my biggest there.as for dillsboro the tuck cannot be beat during the delayed harvest. My son and I spent a week there and actually got tired of catching them.beware on the tuck of the water levels and the rocks (sharp)Try a bead head prince nymph or black or olive bugger they worked for me......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guys your information is exactly what i was looking for i probably wont be able to sleep till i get out there. i just got a cabin on the tusk about 3 weeks ago ill be rentin for the week im out there. i guess it doesnt get any better than this. again thanks alot for the tips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.