NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’m spending a weekend a little north of Asheville in October and would love to get some fly fishing in, but don’t know where to go. I’m taking my girlfriend fly fishing for the first time, so top priority is a good chance of catching something. I grew up fly fishing for trout in Oregon, but open to hunting smallmouth or anything else.
Ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you're North of Asheville, you may try South Toe River off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Burnesville. Best flyfishing water is upstream of the golf course on S. Toe River Rd, Davidson River near Brevard and North Mills between Asheville and Brevard. You can hike in there a little ways to get away from the crowds. Linville river off the Blue Ridge Parkway is another option though a little farther. But a great road trip anyway with plenty to see in the area. (Linville Gorge waterfalls, Grandfather Mtn) There is another little stream, North Toe River near Minneapolis though I haven't been there in years and even then access was spotty.
There are smallmouth in French Broad River but I don't personally have any experience with SM and thus can't offer much info there.
The good news is, by October there is much less pressure on the streams. Some roadside streams, Davidson is a good example, can become zoos and frustrating to fish during summer months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suggest any of the numerous Delayed Harvest streams or rivers in the area. They will be freshly stocked, catch and release only, great for beginners. Information is abundant online, but Hunter Banks Outfitters on Merimon can provide you with some flies and the info you need also. Smallmouth season will be wrapping up at that point and getting them on the fly will be difficult. Not impossible, but difficult in WNC, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
^^Agree. And FYI to OP, mentioned North Mills is delayed harvest and not far from Asheville. Go to Trace Ridge trailhead and hike down the gated FS road. Drop off the road to your left and fish upstream.
Edit to add: I believe Curtis Creek over near Old Fort has a delayed harvest section as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts