NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Looking for great places (lakes, streams, rivers w/slow enough current that won't require a pickup vehicle) to fish from a kayak in the triad of n.c.
Thanks for any input. Ken

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
A couple of us here in the Triangle are considering a drive up to Hyco to fish its power-plant-warmed waters sometime soon. The same thread pointed out that there are a few other power-plant lakes closer to the triad proper -- I think Belews is one.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Speaking of free versus priced ramps, we've called and found out that the ramp at Hyco is free to non-motorized craft -- hooray!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Man, $30.00 would be out of line for a couple of kayaks. You could make a pretty long trip for that much. I would think $15.00 / boat should keep the fishing pressure way down. You guys might have discovered a new kayakers' advantage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ken,
Try the access area at Jordan just south of the intersection of Pea Ridge and Farrington Roads. This section of the lake is separated from the main lake and is available only for bank fishing and non motorized craft.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I did not know this. Does that mean I could take my john boat there as long as I didn't put the motor on it? I'm thinking that is what you are saying.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Ken,
Try the access area at Jordan just south of the intersection of Pea Ridge and Farrington Roads. This section of the lake is separated from the main lake and is available only for bank fishing and non motorized craft.
NCWildlife calls this the "Weaver Creek Public Fishing Area", don't they?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weaver Creek, Chatham Co.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From US 64 east of Pittsboro, take SR 1008 South at Wilsonville. Go 3.4 miles, and area is on the right just past the intersection with SR 1972.

Piedmont Region Public Fishing Access Areas

I hadn't heard it was off limits to motorized craft. The ramp's in pretty bad shape, it won't handle much of a trailer... Don't know how deep the ramp goes either... I've walked the ramp there but have not explored it in my kayak...

[/FONT]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.