NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

The past few weeks I've only been able to fish the mid afternoons due to work and the fishing has been terrible. I've hit up all my favorite spots from Beaufort to Belhaven to Jacksonville and still NO TROUT, NO FLOUNDER AND NO DRUM? Tomorrow morning I'll have a few hours to take the skiff out and fish before heading to work, and I'm looking for some new areas to try. I'll be leaving from New Bern and would like to keep the travel time around an hour.

Anyone fish Dawson Creek, Swindell Bay, or Oriental? Last year these creeks held trout and flounder almost year round and this year its like they just decided to not show up. I realize that we've had some terrible fishing conditions in eastern NC the past few weeks but has fishing been as slow or slower than usual for y'all?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Oriental would be my choice in the river and creek mouth. Try live bait if you can. If not, something white and chartreuse with a popping cork or topwater. Live would be my first choice right now

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
With only a few hours to fish I would stay around New Bern and striper fish. More time on the water and the bite has been pretty good.

However, if you want specks, reds, and/or flounder then I will second C.Lanes suggestion and say to hit up the Oriental area and fish the mouths of the creeks with live bait. Don't forget to target the docks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was kinda thinking of it as a better place to get out of this wind we have. But yeah triggers right, nb has been pretty good on the stripes

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fished this past Sunday on the Pamlico just outside Bath near Kilby Island for a couple of hours. The flounder bite was steady. Only one undersized flounder and that one was 14" Managed an undersized 12" speckled trout and a 2 lb. croaker. Give that area try if you can. All fish were caught on a white berkley gulp in shrimp or swimming mullet and around docks. Hope this helps.

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 5 of 5 Posts