NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried a number of braided lines and there seem to be pros and cons to all. I mostly fish Power Pro in moss green but the line creates a lot of noise/vibration coming through the guides in my opinion. I've got a rod with blue Supper Slick on it that cast and fishes great but fish an extra long leader due to the standout color. What braid do you use and why?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like PPro, I have tried Suffix and it's ok too but doesn't last like PP to me. I haven't tried the SSPpro because I have heard it frays and wears quickly because of the coating. Micro guides stop the whine and buzz of the braid so I am told. I just had a rod made with micro guides but haven't fished it yet. I don't worry much about line color as long as I am using a leader 18-24" long. If tying lures direct I use my rods that have moss green line.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
365 Posts
Trilene Braid.
Its three best traits - Durable, Durable, Durable.
It's next best trait - supple.

Also, like braids are supposed to be, it sensitive, thin, no-stretch.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Power Pro, used to do moss green now I've switched to red. I like the red because it's easier to see if it's suffering from abrasion plus it's easier to see at night to tie on a new lure. Only have tried Spiderwire and liked PPro better, so I don't know about the rest. I've been very happy with the durability of the PPro, but yeah windknots are sometimes an issue. I've gotten pretty good at tying uni to uni to mend them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I see a couple of folks have mentioned wind knots with ppro. I've recently had real issues with wind knots and will do just about anything to avoid them. I don't fish all that often, so line durability really isn't a big concern. In your opinion which is the best braid for avoiding backlash? I assume it needs to be less "limp"?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see a couple of folks have mentioned wind knots with ppro. I've recently had real issues with wind knots and will do just about anything to avoid them. I don't fish all that often, so line durability really isn't a big concern. In your opinion which is the best braid for avoiding backlash? I assume it needs to be less "limp"?
Fins Windtamer. Very flexible and doesn't fade much at all.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I've never had problems with wind knots and am on the water a lot. Cast out and close the bail by hand and before you start reeling make sure the line is on the line roller bearing. This is for any line. Not saying you aren't but more often than not it will fix wind knot issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ive tried Berkley fireline, spiderwire and suffix. My favorite that I use on all my rods is Stren Sonic Braid. A friend took me fishing back in college and said try this, been hooked ever since. Its slick so an improved clinch knot will not work. I use a palamar Knot for lures and a modified albright for my florocarbon leader. Anyone else ever use the Sonic Braid?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Thanks trigger. I try to do the things you are suggesting but it helps to be reminded
No problem. Another fairly common thing I see is people reeling on loose line. This happens a lot when casting up current and working a bait back to you. It's important to keep constant contact with your bait at all times. Allowing that slack in your line will cause line to spool loosely not to mention you'll miss more fish that way.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I like the Fireline Crystal fairly well, and some better then PP. Don't think it is quite as durable as PP. FC isn't braided. It is a fused line. I also think the diameter for a given test line is larger then PP. I get way less wind knots with FC. I could get wind knots in rope if I were using that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ive tried Berkley fireline, spiderwire and suffix. My favorite that I use on all my rods is Stren Sonic Braid. A friend took me fishing back in college and said try this, been hooked ever since. Its slick so an improved clinch knot will not work. I use a palamar Knot for lures and a modified albright for my florocarbon leader. Anyone else ever use the Sonic Braid?
I have not, but I 'cut my braid teeth' on its predicessor - Stren Super Braid, and liked it so much I bought a multi-year (read decade) supply. Still have some, still use it even though it hasn't been made in about 4 years.

I've tried most of the others alongside SSB since then, and have found nothing that satisfies as well.

I believe that Stren Super Braid evolved into Trilene Braid, having been Fireline Braid for a short time (not the same as Fireline Fused). Close examination with eyes and fingers indicates to me they are one-in-the-same. It is the reason I recommended Trilene Braid in my earlier post.

I"ve gotten good performance out of the Fireline Fused braids (regular Fused and Crystal) and will continue to use them. They are a little stiffer, expecially when new, and work well on my spincast reels (Daiwa Goldcast 80, 100, & 120 models). I have a buddy who saltwater fishes out of Swansboro with Spinning Tackle. Fireline Crystal is all he'll use. Loves it. Turned me onto it. He uses it out in the clear blue water even without a leader, and his catch rate remains high and steady.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you travel with the rods in the rod holders or in the back of the truck, you will get more wind knots. At 55-70 MPH the braid layers seem to change on the reel. Because of this I bought some cheap reel covers from Cabelas and that solved the problem. Also when washing down the reel be careful not to wash down with heavy pressure. It doesn't take much to move braid around on the reel and the first cast you'll more than likely blame it on the wind. Just some observations I've noticed with my setup.

Thanks for all the comments on the braid question. I tried Invisi-braid yesterday and really liked it. It was smooth and quiet coming through the guides, and held up when pulling reds from the grass. Powerpro original and the super slick where also used and each we're fine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have been fortunate to be able to fish just about every type of braided line ever offered for sale including stuff from Japan that sells for more than $1 per yard. Everything considered, regular old Power Pro gives you the best bang for the buck. IMO. It ranks at or near the top for all the attributes you want and the price is reasonable. It has, by far, the largest market share in the braided line business. There isn't a close second. The only line that has disappointed me was Daiwa's Samurai Braid. The others are all very serviceable, but PP is my #1 choice.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.