NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just joined.
Here's my story and what I need help with...

I currently live in AZ, but hope to relocate to NC soon for employment (I'm a Mechanical Engineer). I haven't found a job yet, but one of my pre-requisites is that wherever I move to should be not much more than an hour or so from some good trout streams. Spinner fishing small streams for browns and brookies is my first love.
I know that if I moved to Asheville, I would have plenty of choices nearby. But in my industry, Asheville is an unlikely city to find engineering work.
So that kind of leaves the central NC cities to choose from.

Can someone give me some idea how the Charlotte area compares to, say... Winston-Salem, Greensboro & Raleigh? One of those is my most likely destination, and if given some options, I'd like to take distance-to-trout-streams into consideration.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks like you need to learn other types of fishing because none of the cities mentioned except Asheville are an hour away from good trout fishing.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
sorry, Ashevegas is the closest:p;). w/s is an hourish, gsbo is 1 1/2 , raleigh is 3-31/2 The rule of thumb, the farther in WNC you go, the better the streams . Of course, there is always Virginia if you choose W/S or GSBO.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
some of the best trout fishing for browns is within 1 hr of greensboro, nc ...smith river in virginia and there still are some big ones in there......pretty much urban fishing but still puts you within 2 hrs of some trout fishing in the mountains...

Reactions: tkbone

·
Registered
140 Posts
Smith River in VA easy after-work trip from the Triad (W-S, GSO). Depending on what side of Charlotte you live, you can get to the Saluda River tailwater where I am in the Columbia, SC area in about 1.5 hours and catch put and take trout from November until about late June with an occasional holdover for a surprise. Kayak or some type of watercraft very helpful - access is pretty limited.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I live in charlotte and have been driving to trout fishing destinations for the past 10 years from charlotte. The best trout fishing streams are going to be at least 2.5 hours plus. But there are some closer options within 1.5 hours. The furthest day trip Ive done is probably to the Davidson river which is 2.5 hours from charlotte. But if Im doing a day trip I'll normally do Wilson creek 1.5 to 2 hours away. Mitchell river, stone mountain, and south mountain are even closer. But the best trout fishing you are going to probably want to do an overnight stay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions so far. It sounds like I might have to get a non-resident permit for both VA and SC! LOL
On the other hand, a couple hour drive isn't that bad either. I guess I'm just spoiled, having grown up in Western New York State. From there, a 45-60 minute radius could get you to a dozen prime bubbling streams in western and central NY.
I'm actually in a position to move anywhere in the US for work right now. I'm choosing NC solely for the opportunity to have nearby rocky trout streams, and the perfect mix of seasons. Not a lot of that in Phoenix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You'd be surprised to what you can find in Asheville as far as jobs go, only problem is people get jobs and keep them. The ones that come open too are heavily competed for as well since everyone here is overqualified and overeducated for any given job they have. People just like to live here and that's one of the bad parts about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx. I am searching around Asheville also. In fact, everything west of Raleigh. The ideal job, in the ideal location, in the ideal state, would be... well, ideal! I fell in love with NC back when I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, back in the 80's. Lived all over the country since then. But, as I get into my middle-age, it's time to put down roots. I can't think of a better place. Mountains, beaches, trout, 4 seasons... that's for me! Now... just to find a job.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
You'd be surprised to what you can find in Asheville as far as jobs go, only problem is people get jobs and keep them. The ones that come open too are heavily competed for as well since everyone here is overqualified and overeducated for any given job they have. People just like to live here and that's one of the bad parts about it.
how true. another pre-requisite is that you have to be a trust fund baby if you plan to live in Asheville Proper, or you must be like the rest of us and move to the outer reaches to afford the housing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fairview baby!! Beautiful country and even a few small streams holding fish. Honestly though I think App State's physical plant is looking for some sort of Maintenance supervisor for their physical plant, and they want someone with engineering background. Not sure what type of work you do but boone is close to many trout hot spots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Even if you can't be very close to the mountain trout streams NC has some great fishing regardless of where you are. The mountains have good trout (and some muskey). The piedmont has good bass and catfish (among others). And the coast has some of the best saltwater fishing in the country if not the world. North Carolina is a great place to expend your repertoire. I'm from Chapel Hill and I have to say that living in central NC works well for being close enough to a variety of fishing as well as being placed between the beautiful mountains and coast of NC. Choose the best job you can and don't worry too much about the location, you can't go wrong in Carolina.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Thanx. I am searching around Asheville also. In fact, everything west of Raleigh. The ideal job, in the ideal location, in the ideal state, would be... well, ideal! I fell in love with NC back when I was in the 82nd Airborne Division, back in the 80's. Lived all over the country since then. But, as I get into my middle-age, it's time to put down roots. I can't think of a better place. Mountains, beaches, trout, 4 seasons... that's for me! Now... just to find a job.
I would still look at upstate South Carolina.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts