NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just purchased a boat! Now that im able to get out there, i need to know what equipment i should get for fishing off the coast from 1 to 30 miles out. What kind of rod/reel works good for trolling? Is there a rod and reel that work for both bottom fishing and trolling? What kind of line do you need? What type of lures or other things should i have? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Micheal;
Depends on what you are trolling for. If spanish and kings I use shimano speedmaster IV or TLD 15 reels on either Star 7' live bait rods (DLXKF) or Shimano Tallus 7' live bait rods (TLC 70MKA) spooled with ANDE 20# mono with about ten yds 25# Yozuri pink flouro leaders. None of this equipment is overly expensive.
Trolling for Spanish you can use 4000 to 6000 series spinning reels and 7' med action rods with the same line and flouro leaders.
As for your trolling set-up go to www.seastriker.com and they show you how to use planners for trolling. this works for both spanish and kings.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
wow, you just asked me to explain everything I know about offshore fishing...this could take hours. Start with this: what size boat do you have and what kind of fish are you looking to target? What's your budget and how many rods are you going to troll at one time? Personally, I can run at least 7 on my 20 ft Sea Pro, but then again I have outriggers and 2 downriggers. You should be able to get at least 4 out, and I would start there. You can always use planer boards to add more rods to your spread. Anyway, I could go on forever. Answer those questions I asked and we'll get you all set up! Also, use the search function up top, there's a TON of info already available if you just take the time to look.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Congratulations on the new boat Michael. You will love it out there.

As for tackle, take it slow and don't be afraid of used gear.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'll go along with jimbeam on that, heck 2/3 of my gear is used. I would just add that when you buy used know what it cost new and pay accordingly and have it checked out by a good repair shop. Steve at THE REEL OUTDOORS in E.I. is the best and he will not make repairs that are not needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I purchased 2 slightly used TLD 25's and love them. I put the on a Penn Mariner stand up rod and use it for trolling and bottom fishing. I put 30 lb test on one and it worked to catch kings(30 lbs is over kill) and 40 lb on the other just incase I get hooked up on a wahoo. I've only had them for 1/2 a season, but they look just like I got them. All i do is wash them down when I get back and put them in the rod rack. Congrats on the boat as well! Let us know how it goes once you get out there.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hey everyone, just purchased a boat! Now that im able to get out there, i need to know what equipment i should get for fishing off the coast from 1 to 30 miles out. What kind of rod/reel works good for trolling? Is there a rod and reel that work for both bottom fishing and trolling? What kind of line do you need?
Something along these specs would be fine I would think.

1-10 miles out
Trolling: 6~7' boat rod rated at around 12-30 (or 20-40) pound test line with a reel that holds 200~400 yards of 20 pound test

10-30 miles out
Trolling: 6~7' boat rod rated at around 20-50 (or 20-40) pound test line with a reel that holds 500~600 yards of 30 pound test

Bottom bait fishing can be done with the above setups or spinning rods. Jigging is best done with a spinning rod/reel.

Near shore in the summer/fall trolling for spanish you may pickup a king that is why you would want a reel that holds more then 150 yards of line. You may need to chase a large fish so you do not get spooled.

Offshore within 30 mile you would be set to catch anything that may be caught trolling with 25~30 pound class rated fishing rod and reel.

I started with some used Penn 113H's. Then picked up some used TLD-25's. Which I put on some used MH ulgy stick boat rods rated at 20-50 pound line.

What type of lures or other things should i have? Thanks for the help!
That would depend on what you are fishing for but I would say troll with bait. I like to slow troll live bait when it is around. Otherwise pull fozen baits, plugs or platics.

Tim C

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
TimC I think you could catch a 40lb king on a cane pole with 10lb test lol ;)

Reactions: TimC

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
TimC I think you could catch a 40lb king on a cane pole with 10lb test lol ;)
He probably could! He'd sharpen the end of that cane and dive overboard and spear that rascal!:rolleyes:

I know ZILCH about offshore fishing, but CFarm, Beamii, 'bout time and TimC are experts at the craft. Go with their recommendations.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Heres a new place in MHC they have a WHOLE bunch of stuff at their shop. I was a kid in a candy store with the reels they feel like high end reels but with out the high end price.

I can NOT attest to quality over time as I have not heard of most of the brands before but at first look and feel I could not tell a difference between some of their brands and Avet, Accurate brands they were imitating.

heres the link they have a store in MHC

Fishing Tackle: Marine Engine Parts & Fishing Tackle - eBasicPower

By the by these guys did have some used Penns and Such laying about.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
just for thought, I got 2 speedmasters off ebay for $170 (brand new) and free shipping, that's about $70 below retail for those reels. The deals are out there, you just have to look! Also got 2 tld 25s with 7' live bait rods and 500 yds 40# mono for $140 each (brand new)...now that's an AWESOME deal (almost at cost) and I wish I had bought 2 more...next year

·
Registered
103 Posts
I forgot to mention in my first post that a bunch of the guys who have responded helped me out with trolling tackle when I got started last year. The one rig they all told me to use were hank brown rigs which I found to be the best way to start. It helps troll the bait without having it spin. I bought a complete hank brown rig from Blue Water Candy and have been "trying" to make my own look that same way. It is much cheaper to make you own. I'm still learning and have a lot more to learn before I can give good advice, but those worked for me. Like everyone else I troll clark spoons which are pretty much "idiot" proof as I've been told for spanish. What area will you be fishing out of?

Not trying to steal your thread, but do any of you veteran saltwater fisherman use coated wire leader? I find it easier to work with since I don't have much experience using regular wire leader? Any cons to using it? Thanks for your responses in advance.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I forgot to mention in my first post that a bunch of the guys who have responded helped me out with trolling tackle when I got started last year. The one rig they all told me to use were hank brown rigs which I found to be the best way to start. It helps troll the bait without having it spin. I bought a complete hank brown rig from Blue Water Candy and have been "trying" to make my own look that same way. It is much cheaper to make you own. I'm still learning and have a lot more to learn before I can give good advice, but those worked for me. Like everyone else I troll clark spoons which are pretty much "idiot" proof as I've been told for spanish. What area will you be fishing out of?

Not trying to steal your thread, but do any of you veteran saltwater fisherman use coated wire leader? I find it easier to work with since I don't have much experience using regular wire leader? Any cons to using it? Thanks for your responses in advance.
i don't know much about the coated wire, I typically just use regular old malin wire myself. Seems that coated wire is more expensive. My tip with using malin is to go ahead and leave some excess until you get good at breaking it. I'm still not 100% at it, and sometimes have to cut the wire off but I get better with every one I tie. I just hope the one I cut doesn't end up in my hand haha (i actually just file them down a little so they aren't sharp).

Reactions: bmweaver11

·
Registered
997 Posts
I make some six to seven dozen king and spanish rigs a year for myself and others, so I purchased a Du-bro machine (makes haywire twist) to make them. It cost about $300, but it's worth it when you make this many rigs. As for the material I use #04 (38 lb.) American Fishing Wire, Gamakatsu size 4 treble hooks and calcutta ultra jigs, Hank brown jigs, Gamakatsu #2 nose hooks, Cape Lookout lures skirts, and spro 40# swivels. These are all for tournament fishing I also make some using less expensive materials for "fun" fishing. I make dead and live bait rigs with skirts and without skirts along with dead bait rigs using hank brown jigs and pirate plugs.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you are using wire to make your rigs DO NOT cut the "tag" ends off - you break them off. If you cut them you will do one of two things you will either cut the tie or haywire twist or leave a stub and stick it in our hand.
You can purchase a DU-Bro hand tool to make the haywire twist for about $16 the only thing bad about it is that if you are making a lot of rigs your fingers will get very sore.

ALWAYS USE A HAYWIRE TWIST when using wire to make your rigs.

there is so much to know it would be impossible to tell you here. I would recommend that you get with someone that has been doing this for awhile and pay them if you have to to show you the RIGHT way to do things. A little money spent now is less than years of doing things the wrong way.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Tip # 3 rods : When trolling for kings and spanish you want to use a light tip rod for two reasons. As the boat pitches and rolls the rod will flex just enough to keep our bait in the water and not "skip" across the water. Second when the fish hits your bait the lighter tip will flex and not pull the hook out of the fish's mouth
I learned these lessons the hard way I had 6'-6" heavy rods and lost a bunch of fish along with having baits "skip" sold those rods for little of nothing and replaced them with the rods mentiioned in my earlier post and My hook-up ratio went out the roof..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have (7) TLD 15's on Barefoot Rods.

I use 7 strand AFW wire, 40 lb in the camo color. I make my own king rigs and will use a green duster on one and a pink duster on another. Use a good barrel swivel and just tie the wire to swivel with a figure 8 knot. Put a frozen cigar minnow on the first treble and either put stinger treble toward the bag of the minnow or let it hang.

I let them way back and just like them skip across the top. Awesome to be able to see a king sky on them. Of course ya can play with colors of duster but those two are my favorite.

On downriggers, I use what is called a Pirate Plug. Made local, near Sanford. South Chatham Tackle - Big Game Gear Again, I buy just the the head/skirt/j hook and tie my own rigs. These have caught, kings, spanish, mahi, and ReelTrouble caught a very nice sailfish during one of our MAD events.

I do not use alot of solid as it is just my preference to use 7 strand.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey everyone, just purchased a boat! Now that im able to get out there, i need to know what equipment i should get for fishing off the coast from 1 to 30 miles out. What kind of rod/reel works good for trolling? Is there a rod and reel that work for both bottom fishing and trolling? What kind of line do you need? What type of lures or other things should i have? Thanks for the help!
You are going to need more than one rod and reel to cover that much ground. I started with a tld 15 on a 7' live bait rod and my quiver keeps expanding by the month (up to a Tiagra 50w with 15 rods on my ceiling). Shimano has speedmaster which is a good all round reel since it has a star drag that you can use for bottom fishing as well. I big boy on the bottom may be a little much though. The more you fish, the more your need is going to expand. Start out modest and go from there. If it were me, I would get the speedmaster with a live bait rod(the Tallus and speed master make a effective/good looking combo). You can get all ranges of fish with that set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.