NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member to NCA and wanted to say hello to all and see if anyone knows of any white bass fishing hotspots right now in the high rock, tuckertown, badin, jordan lake area...I have a 12 year old just dying to feel the tug of a fighting white bass, but I haven't been able to locate a hotspot in these areas...would really appreciate some info and I look forward to the forums and other great info as a member of NCA>>>thanks..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have been catching white bass in the Eno and Flat Rivers north of Durham but that run will probably be over soon. A few Strippers in there as well coming up from Falls Lake. A few are being caught in the Haw River below the Jordan Lake Dam but not in big numbers. They are catching more big Crappie there. Down near Tucker Town, Tillery, Badin and High Rock you should be able to find some in the Yadkin and her tributaries. I would try Panther Creek and Flat Swamp.

Mark

Reactions: quackupp

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Badin is one of the best kept secrets in the State IMHO!

I am from the Denton area above Albemarle. I am actually from a little community called Farmer but I didn't think you would know where that is. Use to fish Badin, High Rock, Tucker Town and Tillery regularly. Badin most of the time. Unfortunately I sold my boat about 4 years ago and haven't been in a position to get another one.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am new to bass fishing - was up in Beaverdam at Falls Lake Crappie fishing (quite successfully I might add) - and am going back up that way this weekend to look for some bass - I would be interested in any info also.:)

G

·
white bass, something i can relate to. i'll be fishing them alot in the next 1 1/2 months in central Illinios. manage to pick up a rare hybrid once and a while. i'll post up a pic in a few days.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
First, welcome to the site. Now for the bad news, you guys missed the white bass spawning run pretty much. They leave the lakes and run up the rivers and spawn along the edges in the same fascinating way as salmon. The good news... what goes up must come down and unlike salmon they don't die after spawning. look for them along their return path. If you spot huge schools of big fish just off the bottom that won't bite, you are probably looking at white suckers staging for their spawning run. I hope this helps. Al

PS Welcome to the site Flounder Girl, Missed you first post. I wish I could help you on the bass but that is out of my territory.

G

·
fishing for white bass with light action #6 line...then a couple of these :

small river maybe 50-60 ft. across and usually 4-6 ft. water

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You should be able to catch White Bass on the Eno and Flat Rivers for the next 2-3 weeks. The Flat is usually about 1 week behind the Eno.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RE: Crappie & White Bass

I've heard the White Bass and Crappie will be moving in the Hot Hole in Blemont. I've been fishing there from the 2 piers and have had some luck with Channel Cats and Flat heads and have caought one large mouth. Would like to get my wife Patty into crappie fishing and try white bass ( new to me ). Any suggestions on wher and how ?
If anyone is interest in Cats, this place is productive. Caught a several over 3lbs and bunch in the 1.5 - 2 lb area. Packaged stink bait and shad seem to work the best.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on the Crappie and White Bass.

Thanks
Larry ( Newby)

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
If that`s Belmont you`re talking about (sounds like it) you`re right . Needs to be colder for a while. Hothole is a good spot for most fish at the right time. We put our yaks in there sometime. They use alot of jigs w/ crappie nibbles under a bobber down there. I`d just use minnows. Unfortunately I don`t expect you`ll catch many white bass. 6 or 7 years ago, yes, but not now.
If you like it there check out the Mc Guire hothole and Marshall steam station. Both on Norman.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If that`s Belmont you`re talking about (sounds like it) you`re right . Needs to be colder for a while. Hothole is a good spot for most fish at the right time. We put our yaks in there sometime. They use alot of jigs w/ crappie nibbles under a bobber down there. I`d just use minnows. Unfortunately I don`t expect you`ll catch many white bass. 6 or 7 years ago, yes, but not now.
If you like it there check out the Mc Guire hothole and Marshall steam station. Both on Norman.
Thanks for the tips. We go to the hot hole just because it's not far away and we usually catch something. My wife is realy getting into fishing and it was a good place for her to start out. 6 months ago was the frist time she ever used a rod and reel. She grew up in Mississippi using a can pole with her mom. Now she has a NC license plate "FSHNHOTE". It is so great to enjoy fishing with you partner in life. We were married 1 year before I even knew she would like to go fishing.

We are goingto Alabama to fish next week, She has sisters that have a pond and live on a lake. I married inot the right family.

Hope we can meet up some time. I appreciate your willingness to share info.

Larry & Patty Sulzer

PS: Do you ever fish the hot hole anymore ?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
My buddy and fellow Team Hardcore member Barry (snakehead) lives in Lowell and he`s sort of in charge of reports on the Allen Hothole. He checks pretty regular and knows alot of the folks who frequent it. He paddles a grey (big ) kayak. We`re all very respectful of any bank fishing people and stay well out of the way but still, you may have seen him or us.

I`m sure we`ll be paying it a visit sometime soon. Mc Guire and Marshall are both tough to hit in a YAK but good bank fishing spots. But be warned if we meet you we will try to get you in a kayak for a test spin. Always recruiting for the Plastic Armada !

When you need a fire or heater to fish on the bank, then it`s prime hothole time.

Always willing to try and help a fellow fisherman.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Might want to consider white perch for your son. They pull very good and there's tons of them in Buggs Island and Smith Mountain Lakes. Can catch them jigging or with bait. Once you start catching them, just cut one up and use him for bait.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.