NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NC Anglers,

I just bought a canoe and I'm ready to start putting fish in the boat. I know that white bass fishing can be hot in the early spring and was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching them in the Neuse or any other river in the Raleigh/Durham area.

If so, when are the best times to go and what are the go-to white bass lures?

Thanks in advance.

HotWing

G

·
I also would like to know. Fished back in Illinois for them in river systems. Fished them with lead head and floater jigs, gay blade types, and spinners. Any stretch of the Cape Fear near Raleigh carry them ?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
your best bet will be the haw just above jordan then the haw just below jordan......then the eno just above falls .......they also run out of kerr into the dan and out of lake tillery into the uwharrie......i hate to get more traffic but the haw run is the best i have seen......i have fished the eno alot but never for the white during the run, you may want to ask fishfinderphd or froggy about that mack

Reactions: HotWing

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
There's a good run from Falls Lake up the Eno river toward Durham each spring. You can fish from canoe heading upstream from the Haw River launch on Red Mill Road. Otherwise the Penny's Bend area is great on foot/waders. I wrote up one of last year's trips in this blog post - I think I was a little late for the run.

I do best out on Falls Lake, main lake creek intersections trolling small shad raps from the kayak all summer long (weekday pursuit only). Plenty of pics of past fish in the NC Piedmont Reports section.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
small inline spinners work well in the 1/6 and 1/8 ounce size. The Neuse river had White bass in it but I have never caught numbers in there. Raleigh Beach is a good place to try but it gets alot of pressure not so much the white bass fishermen but the catfishermen. I've caught some nice ones in there but never large numbers. Upper rivers of Jordan and Fall's are great places.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks mack in n.c., Jeffonc, and Fishin Technician for your replies. It sounds like the consensus is that the Neuse isn't the best river for White Bass. Since I'm as close to the Eno and Haw I will likely fish those two rivers instead.

When does the bite usually begin and when does it start to slack off? I read Jeffonc's blog and it sounds like April was a bit late on the Eno last year.

Would anyone be interested in doing a day trip when the fish start biting?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Usually the best bite on the Eno will be middle of march through middle end of April, but it all depends on water temp and levels. If the water is low you'll do better in a boat or wading. As far as lures white inline spinners like rooster tails work good, 1/32 oz crappie grubs fished under a small cork or by themselves work real good. Those panfish assassin bodies seem to really work well sometimes drawing hits when nothing else will. I have also seen big 3 inch white or chartruese grubs on heavier jigs work too. The husky jerk and x-rap 6 sizes work good, color is subjective but again white seems to work best.

Another place to go would be Stagecoach Rd just above Jordan on New Hope creek. They have a good run in there every year as well several nice crappie caught while fishing for the white bass.

I am about bouncing off the walls here ready to hit the Eno for the white bass run, figure if the water temps start warming up I'll be hitting the banks at Penny's Bend soon.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've always caught right many up the Haw in the Spring of the year at Jordan. Also caught my best bass in that lake around '98 or so up that part of the river fishing for white bass(8.5#'s!). Heck of a surprise when all I'd been catching was 10" to 12" white bass that day! We REALLY need a break from all this rain!!!

G

·
Who doesn't want to catch 40-50 white bass !
I didn't fish for them last year, and my first impression of the Mill road ramp outside of Durham was not good. Does 'johnny law' ever swing by there?
Sounds like like a couple other good spots around. I always liked keeping some big whites early in the year. So this year i have a kayak and this spring i'd be in NC. 2 1/2 years and i'm going to keep my first fish.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Okay. Here it goes white bass on the eno depends on the tide. Yes tide. How high the water is. Redmill. Is a very fished access. If you have multiple cars and yaks or canoes. Put in at penny's bend with the river full of water float down there is one place just below old oxford from penny's bend that gets shallow. But cross that and you have good unbothered fishing to the redmill rd bridge where the little comes infrom little river resivour deserves special attetion If you are more adventurous you can fish the flat from old oxford to knapp of reeds or the neuse. Depending on who you are determines what it is called. Most know it as redmill rd where the flat comes in But with high wAter the rivers are better up river if they are down the actual channels are good. But they will be high for the run this year. If you are really brave put in elerbee creek on redmill. Ignore all the trash and fish the rail rd tressel and old red wood rd bridge that is caved in. Pm for detials. If you need more. But I agree with. Everyone's. Statements. So far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.