NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
caught 27 nice ones near idols dam yesterday, first run , the big females will run the yadkin river towards my way soon , wont be able to keep a jig in the water in two weeks from now at idols dam.

G

·
I used to fish my favorite place back in Illinios on a small river that you could easily throw a rock across. Usually prime water at the beginning of May would be a flowing 6-8 ft. Had those 50-60 fish days on whites. Most were 2-3 # range. Usually just carried a small pocket tackle box and one rod. And of coarse, like Muddy's story... Happy Days... :)

With spinning gear Shimano Spirex 2000,ML action rod 6ft. and 6# Trilene. The next day i went back with my other rig and 8#, Med. 6'6" and caught a few more. This pic i was releasing her back into the Illinios river, downstream about a mile from the tributary.

Sorry for high-jacking your thread but i was day dreaming... ;)

G

·
yep, Hybryds... a nice surprise while fishing for 2# white bass.
caught them coming up the tributary at dusk from the river about 1/4 mile downstream. i also was fishing from shore.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey dbarney, I'm on the yad just about every weekend weather permitting. Green one man canoe. Usually fishing Shallowford Tanglewood or Idols area for bass and cats (and whites in the spring. ) I heard they did some demolition work on the power house and such. Has all the water been diverted over the main spillway now? I'm was planning on doing an idols float this saturday even before I ready this. Gimme a shout if you spot me on the big rock or the sand bar. Warning to all who read though, the neighbors out there are NOT fisherman friendly, especially rich folks on the Forsyth side. Park there to walk in and you very well might get ticketed. They have no respect for the fact that we have been fishing there for many many years. Granted I have had some pretty scary encounters myself with folks coming in there at night and drinking/shooting and such. Wish an alternative could be reached so it is viable again. There, I've ranted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Stripes,
You are right. The powerhouse is no longer operational and has really changed things down there. Not only are the neighbors not friendly but the City of W-S has cameras and will prosecute if you come in through their porperty from what I have been told. You can however access it from either upstream or downstream by boat and they cant say anything to you. Just be careful if you're by yourself in a canoe!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thee dam hasnt changed , ive heard the same talk but its still the same as of last week and no demo team in waiting , the rich folks will have to wait to access me below the dam, but i can tell u how

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hit idols today. Lots of dang small white perch, few crappie, big carp (snagged by mistake) ,a hog of a spottted bass, and a few LM's to round it out. Big females whites still are not there. Water is low. Plenty of shad up there now. Cats and maybe even stripers should not be far behind. All fish caught on small sassy shads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.