NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you fish for them this time of year around the raleigh area during their spawning run up the rivers? I have fished the Eno river and Stagecoach road in the past and wondered if anyone had fished them this year yet and had any luck, They are a lot of fun to catch, If you havent tried it then you ought to if you like pullage. They are quite a fiesty fish. Any reports on these fisheries or others that I may not be aware of in the area would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should try it. Its a great fishery on the eno and you could do a yak there easily. Last year some did it on their yak. I have put the canoe in there but it can get busy during the spring. They are a great fish to catch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been trying to figure out some places to try on the Eno. Any suggestions? I can't picture where you were referring to with the Eno and Stagecoach.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks rockfish. I have heard that they run up there as well as striper. I only bank fished it once but saw some people going upriver from the boat launch there and wondered where they were going. You know any more about the area. Is it necessary to hike up river to get into them and are there striper up there in the spring trying to spawn? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
n4svz there are many places to fish the eno in Durham in a city park that they have but I am talking about an area on the Eno where Old Oxford road crosses it headed out of durham. Look on a google map and you will se it. The area is called Penneys Bend, there is a small parking lot there by the bridge. In a week you will know you are there because of all the cars parked there. The stagecoach Road place is on Jordan lake. Its a waterfowl impoundment. Search the name on google and you will see it. There is a dam and a pool that people fish in as well as down the river into Jordan lake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks. I knew about Stagecoach Rd. It's close to where I live. I guess I read into what you wrote that there was a Stagecoach and Eno intersection and I thought there must be another Stagecoach. It's not a unique name. Didn't realize you were talking about two separate places. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

I've fished Roberson Creek from my boat any number of times, but never waded above the canoe launch. Timing is everything above the canoe launch. After all the rain we had last night I suspect today's not a good time for wading there, for example.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have fished at penny's bend numerous times (close to where I grew up) and it is a lot of fun but when the white bass and crappie are biting you can hardly find a place to cast without everybody crossing your line and standing right next to you if you seem to have the luck.

I like to hike up the river a little ways and find a cozy cove to myself.

Another good place to launch a little john boat or something is in treyburn corporate. That may be the stagecoach rd your talking about, I don't know the name but it has a boat ramp and I've heard that if you load your boat, head left around the bend then you will find the fish.

I'm trying to figure out if I will be able to get out there this year. I'm sure I'll find a way to sneak over there sometime. I miss the fact that it was 5 minutes down the road and now it is about an hour away.

FYI, we used to always use a unweighted cork and anywhere from 2 to 6 inches down use a small jig head hook with a white or chartruese curly tail worm. The crappie would bite really soft and so when the unweighted cork would wiggle you probably had a bite.

Good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey fishcrazy,went by stage coach yesterday to givem a try,water is so high its running over the dike:eek:.I would bet they are on the way if not already there.As soon as the water comes down a bit Im going to givem another try.:confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the report on that area fishy. I appreciate it because it is quite a drive over there for me. Its nice to know if the fish are there before you make the drive, Now when they are not biting then thats just called fishing, lol. Let us know how it goes when you do fish the area.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fished stagecoach today for a couple of hours and the bite is on! White bass and slab crappie being caught. Had a couple fish get off I think were hybrids or striper. Saw a couple lines broke off by big fish.If I were you Id try to get by there and get in on the action while its good. The water is falling out and don't know if the bite will hold. Might try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lot of big bowfin in there. Their teeth will cut your line easily. Some fun was had it appears . That one white is a hog. Thanks for the report. Im hearing that they are getting some on the eno as well but had not heard that about the size.What lure were you using for them at stagecoach? Did you walk down the river or fish at the bridge?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.