NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday evening, a friend and I went to the cape fear river in Lillington but found that it was too crowded. After some head scratching, we ended up at black creek, a decent sized creek near my house that feeds into holt lake in Smithfield, and eventually the Neuse river. We had been to the beach that day, so we used the cut mullet at our disposal to set a couple of throw lines from the bridge, while we sat under the bridge with rods and free lined cut bait. We weren't really expecting much but were glad to be outside. Around 1 am, we heard splashing and saw something making some ruckus under the bridge. I ran up to my throw line and arrived just in time to catch the 15 lb weight before it was pulled into the water! I fought the fish with the 50 lb line towards the bank we were set up on, and handed the line off to a buddy below and jumped down in excitement. As the fish neared the bank we all let out astonishment at the size of fish that had been hanging out in this creek. We got her to shore and measured it in as 30 inches and 10 or so pound white catfish. This was the first white catfish I had ever caught, and a whopper at that! With this fish, I Had caught every species of cat in nc. Our thoughts are that holt lake flooding may have contributed to this bad boy's presence here. Hoping for more sizeable cats in this local hole in the future! Not the best picture, but it's what I got. Thanks for the read y'all.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts