NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry the report's almost a week late. Seabiscuit and I (along with the wife and boy also) took our first real try in the river this year. Although it wasn't a banner weekend, it was encouraging.

After my boat motor died (it ran for <3 minutes, take a look in the boat & motor service repair review section for the full story http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showcat.php/cat/39 ) We managed to go out and do a little fishing on Seabiscuit's rig. Puppy Drum, Flounder, Blues and Specs were all biting. We only managed to get a little snapper blue and one legal Spec in the boat. The boy caught the blue and Seabiscuit got the spec. I was skunked by a kid and a ol' man.:rolleyes: I did mange to loose a small redfish using a popping cork and (Mike you might wanna sit down) a Gulp! Shrimp in New Penny. I actually got a few hits on that setup and finally lost the back half of my shrimp to what I can only guess was another snapper blue. Now that I plugged Gulp! I do have to say that the Spec was caught using a Saltwater Assasin Electric Chicken Paddletail (and Seabiscuit bummed it off of me ;))

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Now if that ain't an honest fishin' report I'll eat my hat. Age, treachery and the electric chicken combine to bring home the trout while youth and enthusiasam go with gulp and get mommucked by a small red and bluefish. AL

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Well ParrotHead, I didnt really understand the ending of your story. I'm guessing it didnt, due to the beginning of your post up top. I'm in the middle of rebuilding mine. I melted a piston in Dec. But I had some help from www.iboats.com, under the repair forums. Those guys know alot, but you need to be specific, and they always tell you to first get a repair manual. Start there, and do some searches on the site. They have it broken down by engine manufacturer. Check it out. I have a 175 Johnny, and 2 grand into parts now. But I replaced everything, including all ignition, I'm hoping it starts!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Geez - figures - PH says something good about Gulp and I miss the post cause I was in Kenya for 2 weeks. Glad Dragula made it resurface.... :)

GO GULP!

I think I'm well over 100 pounds of flounder this year - all on Gulp!

Plus some Reds, specks, blues and recently a couple of sheephead on the gulp crabs.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Hmmm... sheepshead on Gulp! That's making me think this gulp buisness is the best thing that has happened to Pure Fishing yet. Maybe ther is some hope for the American tackle industry. I've been studying on entering the fray this fall in a limited way. AL

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rest of the story...

I didn't realize it cut the end off.

Anyway, after 2 1/2 months(on a 2 1/2 week estimate), I put the boat in the water and started it for the first time outta the shop. It ran for less than 3 minutes.

To make it a short story, the water pump they installed did work properly and the motor overheated.

I took it back and after all but calling a liar outright :mad: they agreed to repair it at no additional charge. The implied that I must have ran the motor dry, I assume the very tricky pick-up tube that runs from the pump housing to the powerhead wasn't seated properly. It's very difficult to put the lower unit back on AND seat the tube.

Now, I admit fault on one part. I started the motor and ran it and never looked to make sure it was pumping water :eek:. But, honestly, even if I had looked, I probably would have let it run for as long as it did before it died.

OK, I'm still rambling on, good news the boat runs (in the driveway, with muffs). Been so busy getting the house ready for the baby, I haven't taken it out again. Even better news...I don't have to deal with Collins anymore.

Dave, thanks for the suggestions. I only chose Collins because they are close to where I live and they are extremely well-known. Unfortunately, now I know what they're known for!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.