NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ya you are the 2nd poster who has asked this question this week! He received no replies either; which means (a) nothing is happening there yet or (b) it is on fire and nobody wants to be the one to tell.

I'm in the same boat (figuratively) as you; will be in the same area (not WOS) next week. I suspect the trout are not up in Stella yet but they can be found further towards Swansboro. I also bet it would not be a complete waste of time fishing the Stella area as there may be a drum or two still cruising, as well as flatfish. And gar, and catfish, and alligators.

I think it is usually November before the trout showing up in numbers in Stella, as well as the boats.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the reply, your right every one is afraid they might help some one catch a fish I guess lol, I'll figure it out come the weekend, looks like a beautiful weekend coming up anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go to YouTube and search for " Carolina Fishing TV trout White Oak river" & find Jeff Cronks video. They are fishing the WO mid-Oct a few years back & it might give you a few ideas.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to YouTube and search for " Carolina Fishing TV trout White Oak river" & find Jeff Cronks video. They are fishing the WO mid-Oct a few years back & it might give you a few ideas.
Thanks I found it and I think I know where they were, and I'm going to try it Friday, look me up in the campground this weekend and I'll buy you a beer, site # w-16 WOS rv resort, 198 carolina skiff, white and DUKE blue. I thought you would like that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check my report from a few weeks ago. I caught nice upper slot drum and a decent flounder within sight of the WOS pier from my yak. I will be back down this weekend and staying on one of the overnight spots.

The trout are not there yet, but can be found closer to the ICW

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check my report from a few weeks ago. I caught nice upper slot drum and a decent flounder within sight of the WOS pier from my yak. I will be back down this weekend and staying on one of the overnight spots.

Look me up we are on w-16 coming in tonight around 9:00 pm

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Trout hold in the white oak year-round, and are very catchable most months of the year. While they aren't schooling in numbers in the skinny water just yet, that does not mean they are not there. Water temps in the mid-60's should fire off the "trout season" schoolies in about 2-3 weeks. It has been a good summer in the WO. Very limited traffic and excellent fishing with specks up to 4 pounds on topwaters and plastics. Especially in low light conditions. Target main river points and downcurrent potholes adjacent to oyster beds for warm water specks. (ocean temp still 72-74 this week!)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Invited Steven.brewster to come over and fish the White Oak today, boy was it tough, we fished the oyster beds just up for the. Bridge without much success, we caught some mullet and ran back toward the campground and fished a little while and he caught a nice 25 inch drum and I landed one 23 inches. So the day ended good anyway. I really enjoyed meeting you Steven, I look forward to fishing with you in the New River next time, and thanks again for letting me keep both of the fish.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sunday the 19th, the White Oak was almost unfishable. The wind ripped up and down the river and we had 1' white caps. Fish for 6 hours, in the creeks, the river and wayyyyyyyyyy back up in some of the creeks. Nada. But, its coming and probably 3 weeks, weather dependent

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sunday the 19th, the White Oak was almost unfishable. The wind ripped up and down the river and we had 1' white caps. Fish for 6 hours, in the creeks, the river and wayyyyyyyyyy back up in some of the creeks. Nada. But, its coming and probably 3 weeks, weather dependent
Yea I didn't go out Sunday at all, I pulled the boat out and cleaned her up good. I could see the other side of the river from the campground, and the wind was beating the waves against the bank on the other side, glad I didn't go out. But we did manage a few nice ones on Saturday.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.