NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING: It’s a bit lengthy!

Hit the river around 6:30 Saturday morning, planning on fishing for flounder and specks. Went in search of bait, but had to creep across the river from Hadnot Creek where we put in to Hargett’s Creek (my never-fails stop for bait). The fog was HEAVY and visibility was only about 10 yards.

Made it to Hargett’s and there was no bait to be found. We skirted the marsh grass back up the river and came up w/ 3 mullet minnows in about an hour or more. The fog finally lifted about 8 – 8:30. I picked up my boys (4 & 12) at the dock and headed back in river. Found some peanut pogies to use for bait, but the only thing we saw working were gar. Caught a 2lb catfish and realized how fresh the river still was.

Pulled anchor and headed for Swansboro, hoping to put the boys on some Spot. Fished the ICW in between Dudley’s and Casper’s with double drop rigs using FishBites Bloodworms. Got a few blow toads, but nothing else and couldn’t see anyone catching. Pulled anchor and headed to the EI Bridge.

Set up and only a couple of other boats anchored. Put the same bottom rigs out and the first of several spot runs started in a few minutes. The boys and my little brother were catching 2 at a time. I managed to catch a few between detangles, re-rigging and re-baiting. Finished the 1st run and looked around….I could have walked across the ICW from bow to bow. Couldn’t believe how many boats swarmed us.

Had several more runs & the boys had a blast. I had Carolina rig behind the boat with new penny gulp shrimp, but all it yielded was a smaller snapper blue. There was fella in a yellow yak that came alongside said he’d got a couple trout under bridge earlier, but it died off.

Finished for the day around 3:00 and headed back to Stella. We hit it again Sunday morning from 8:30 to 1PM and caught a few more Spot, but not quite as frenzied as the day before. My oldest did catch a speck on his bottom rig with fishbites, but only 12 inches. He and brother also hooked up with something huge that took their rigs against the current and never stopped! Guessing it was a ray that snacked on a Spot on the hook from the way it felt when my boys finally handed his rod to me because he was afraid it was going to break. Fought it for 10+ minutes and put on a good show for the other boats, but never could get it off the bottom until it took of up the ICW with a whirring of the reel and a “pop”.

Ended up with 65 fish kept & cleaned, including 7 blowfish and a 2lb cat from the White Oak. Filleted the 15 biggest spot and keep those for ourselves and gave the rest to a very happy neighbor.

Spot fishing is definetly one of my favorites when you're taking the kids along. If that doesn't get 'em hooked, you've got furure vegetarian PETA members in your future!:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, big drum crossed my mind, but both times we had to debate on whether or not the rigs were hung up on the bottom until they started moving again. Pretty sure it was rays, but guessing is part of the fun of loosing a big fish.

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
57 Posts
WARNING: It’s a bit lengthy!

Hit the river around 6:30 Saturday morning, planning on fishing for flounder and specks. Went in search of bait, but had to creep across the river from Hadnot Creek where we put in to Hargett’s Creek (my never-fails stop for bait). The fog was HEAVY and visibility was only about 10 yards.

Made it to Hargett’s and there was no bait to be found. We skirted the marsh grass back up the river and came up w/ 3 mullet minnows in about an hour or more. The fog finally lifted about 8 – 8:30. I picked up my boys (4 & 12) at the dock and headed back in river. Found some peanut pogies to use for bait, but the only thing we saw working were gar. Caught a 2lb catfish and realized how fresh the river still was.

Pulled anchor and headed for Swansboro, hoping to put the boys on some Spot. Fished the ICW in between Dudley’s and Casper’s with double drop rigs using FishBites Bloodworms. Got a few blow toads, but nothing else and couldn’t see anyone catching. Pulled anchor and headed to the EI Bridge.

Set up and only a couple of other boats anchored. Put the same bottom rigs out and the first of several spot runs started in a few minutes. The boys and my little brother were catching 2 at a time. I managed to catch a few between detangles, re-rigging and re-baiting. Finished the 1st run and looked around….I could have walked across the ICW from bow to bow. Couldn’t believe how many boats swarmed us.

Had several more runs & the boys had a blast. I had Carolina rig behind the boat with new penny gulp shrimp, but all it yielded was a smaller snapper blue. There was fella in a yellow yak that came alongside said he’d got a couple trout under bridge earlier, but it died off.

Finished for the day around 3:00 and headed back to Stella. We hit it again Sunday morning from 8:30 to 1PM and caught a few more Spot, but not quite as frenzied as the day before. My oldest did catch a speck on his bottom rig with fishbites, but only 12 inches. He and brother also hooked up with something huge that took their rigs against the current and never stopped! Guessing it was a ray that snacked on a Spot on the hook from the way it felt when my boys finally handed his rod to me because he was afraid it was going to break. Fought it for 10+ minutes and put on a good show for the other boats, but never could get it off the bottom until it took of up the ICW with a whirring of the reel and a “pop”.

Ended up with 65 fish kept & cleaned, including 7 blowfish and a 2lb cat from the White Oak. Filleted the 15 biggest spot and keep those for ourselves and gave the rest to a very happy neighbor.

Spot fishing is definetly one of my favorites when you're taking the kids along. If that doesn't get 'em hooked, you've got furure vegetarian PETA members in your future!:D
where did you put in at hadnot creek?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put in at the white oak bluffs community boat ramp. You have to be a member of the HOA to use that one. It's where my mother-in-law lives.

But there is a pay ramp down at the stella bridge (boon docks) that's a great ramp and not far from hadnot creek. Only about a mile or so upriver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.