NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10/20 - 10/23 Spent some time on the White Oak, a couple miles down from the Stella Bridge, and even ventured down river to the Swansboro Bridges area.

The water was so fresh upriver that we were catching catfish and eels (SLIMY!) and we were watching the gars cut thru the pogie schools. I think I managed to "tie" my mother-in-law for the family record flounder out of the river. Of course, I lost one that was even bigger! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. The bite was pretty strange when it did come. My six year old caught a catfish and then a small balck drum in the same spot.

Headed downriver and drifted on the edge of the ICW and got some decent hits, but nothing in the boat before we anchored near the bridges. The flatfish were biting, but hard to land. I pulled in several mullet heads :eek: . It seems the amount of time you wait to set the hook is always only half the time you should have waited. I did see some other folks pull in some nice flounder and heard reports of a couple specks (3-4 lbs'ers) and some happy with the spot haul (up to 80 in one afternoon trip).

Anyway, it was a great time and I burned up some gas re-learing the river and waterway where I grew up. I'll try to post a pic of the near-record flounder if my mom-in-law lets her husband release it.

PH

·
Registered
52 Posts
This past weekend on the White Oak held the best of both worlds. Flounder have become scarce (one 16" was caught Friday afternoon) but specs and stripers are still active. I saw a local with a cooler full of what appeared to be 3-5 lb. specs caught on live shrimp which were caught at Broad Creek or can be purchased in Swansboro.

I was using a soft bait and caught a half a dozen trout but most were small. Kept two. Also landed a puppy drum and some stripers...all on the same bait.

Sunday, the weather changed and after 3 hours of effort, called it a day and went home. Watched a boat go from one trout hole to another, but doubt he had much luck as he moved every 30 minutes or so. Looking forward to next weekend.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Well I got shut out on the White Oak today :( Guess the cold snap has the fish taking a nap. It was nice to venture out of my home territory for a change up and a shot at some Stripers. It was also nice to met a fellow NCAngeler.com member, Seabiscuit (was fishing in his back yard!)

Thanks for all the good good advice and directions Seabiscuit! Bet you're glad I left you some fish :):D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was glad you made it to our neck of the woods. Just sorry things didn't pan out a little better. If it's any consolation, I fished hard that evening (and the following day) and didn't get a bump! Go figure...

Did try out several purchases I made at Bass Pro with Parrothead. Bib overalls worked great. Striper baits didn't raise an eyebrow.:(

I'm going to spend some time this winter trying to find where they spend the "off season" months. If I find 'em, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, come agian soon...maybe the fishing will be better!:)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Some of the better days I've had were when the fish were not biting. That just gives you more time to find future fishing holes for when they are biting. To me that is all part of fishing. Exploring and anticipation are a big part of the enjoyment. Sometimes the fish need a break and sometimes a break from cleaning fish after a long day is welcome too. When they aren't biting a little exploration and scouting will normally pay off down the road if not that day. AL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.