NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am likely going to build myself a rod designed mainly for top water. I have to choose a blank and the other components but I came across some information about the microwave guide system. I am looking for feedback about these if anyone is using them.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c24OJ1ypSI

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I have them on a plugging rod. I think they do improve casting distance

They are pretty durable too, inserts haven't come out despite me smacking them against the pier while plugging enough times to have knocked a guide out of the epoxy once lol.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It is a much easier build since the first three guides are always the same distance from the reel spool with minor adjustments if you are picky. Then just static test the running guides. Feels a little different when you first start casting but it is a good different. The best part is they are flexible if you change reels. Build to the biggest reel you intend to use on it. I have never had a wind knot with it even when superman casting light lures for bluegills on 10# braid in a crosswind. I assume you will not be using them on a rod longer than eight feet long.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No longer than 7' for sure. I have a lot of home work to do prior to building but I've read that the distance to the first guide is very critical depending on the reel spool size. In addition there are some standard lay out measurements that, according to what little I've read so far, are not very reliable doe to spool and reel size. I have always been one to think that the stripper guides on most spinning rods are of a size that dictates they will work better with a reel at least one size smaller than the recommended. For example I bought a Penn Battle combo months ago. The reel sat so much higher than the stripper guide that I really thought it wouldn't cast very far. I bought the 1000 series reel and used it on the 3000 combo rod.
All in all I have to fully understand the lay out and spacing for the micro guide system. Is it true that these are only available as sets? Maybe it makes sense to be this way but it is not what I am accustomed to???
Thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There is the "New Guide Concept" where you can use the straight edge method or the 27X method.

With the straight edge you line the spindle of the reel up to a straight edge (I like tape) line up the choker first, then measure up your butt guide that should be no smaller than one half the size of your spool (top lip). Now find the middle of the two to measure up which guide fits best. You now have your three reduction guides lined up, the third one being your choker. You want to use one guide per foot plus one more. So for the seven foot rod you want eight guides total plus the tip. Now tape them down and static test the five remaining guides that are the same size as your choker. These are the running guides. When happy wrap your guides using the Forhan lock at the end. This will help hold the running guides to the rod especially if you use multiple rods on a boat. I wrap all the guides with the lock because even though I bank fish I have arthritis so I fall sometimes.

The only difference with the 27X method is you measure the diameter of the top lip in millimeters (easier math that way), multiply by 27 and place your choker that far from the top of your reel.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Next is the Fuji way. Even I am not longwinded enough to explain that. Put a hat on and go here http://anglersresource.net/. I say to put a hat on because there are so many different ways here you want to limit how much hair you pull out. But spend your time there, I can't stress that enough. Once it all starts to make sense you will benefit from it tremendously.

The above and above post all have one problem. To get the most out of your rod you want to build it to one reel only in a perfect world. Of course its not a perfect world and if you don't know the reel or want to use multiple reels always build to the biggest reel. (Why your last post worked so well)

With the microwave guides you do not have as much of a reel problem because it is more flexible. Build the rod to the reel you will use most often to get the most out of it. As long as you don't build it for a 1000 series reel and then put on a 6000 series reel you will be fine. (Even that might work IDK, but why would you anyway.) The guides only come as a set, but you can buy the running guides individually if you want/need more. For those 5MM guides I strongly suggest you use elastic string (Like the kind in your tightee whitees) to hold the guides and a few wraps of masking tape behind the guides to prevent slipping. As I hinted before the guides come with directions of exactly where to put your first three reduction guides and then you just static test the running guides. For this reason IMHO these are the perfect guides for a first time build.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
​i love the micro eyes get a much better cast less line slap on the eyes makes for better distance ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts