NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed Bass pro Shops and Cabelas have "House brand" Rods and reels.. Who makes this stuff for them and is the quality = price? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
That's a tough question to answer for sure. I'm not aware of any tackle manufacturer that owns their manufacuturing facility. There are many factories in China that produce tackle and all the tackle companies do business with them. Bass Pro and Cabela's source their tackle directly from China themselves, which are the same factories that the known tackle companies use. It's been a sore spot with the manufacturers here since this reduces the amount of rods and reels that they would sell to BPS and Cabela's.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think Backlash is right on about the rods being sourced from the same China makers as some of the other brands. It's not unique to tackle. If you've ever been in a grocery store and looked at the product you know what I mean. Food Lion (nor any of the other grocery chains) doesn't have a factory to make all those products it sells under it's brand name. They source many of the products from the "Name Brand" plants. Why do the name brands do it - it all comes down to volume and market share.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Funny you should mention the grocery stores. I've actually bought a jar of peanuts with a store-brand label; I noticed a loose corner and discovered a different label underneath.

I've also run into the same thing in household appliances -- such-and-such washing machine is made by GE, for example, but it's got some other name on it.

You might have to look at specific items. Somebody told me that a particular BPS reel was made by Quantum...

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I've bought three or four BPS branded reels with mixed results. One was a better value for the price than an equivalent brand name, the others not so much. I think they all came with a "free" rod and I've had the same experience with them - the good rod (bionic blade) has held up well, while the cheap-o's (megacast, graphite series) are gone or relegated to permanent rod-rack status. Its not enough of a sample to support a statistical conclusion, but my personal feeling is that the higher end BPS branded gear is a better value for the $$$ than the lower end. I've put a couple reviews of my BPS stuff in the reviews section here on NCangler. Would be great to have many more votes/ratings and products out there to help with discussions like this.

I've seen this discussion in other places before. According to better tackle aficionados than me, BPS bounces between different suppliers/brands - sometimes pinnacle, sometimes silstar, etc... and the tackle suppliers/brands are probably doing the same thing along with corporate merging/splitting which adds to the confusion. I've never heard anybody suggest that BPS is using Daiwa, Shimano or Abu, which I consider to be the traditional leaders in retail bass brands. But its been a couple years since I've visited the discussion.

I've got no experience with Cabela's brand, but I feel pretty safe assuming they operate in the same manner as the rest of the branded goods market.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The information presented so far is right. Prior to moving back to NC, I was sales manager for a wholesale fishing tackle distributor and major manufacturer of fishing tackle. All of our proprietary brand rods and reels were made in China. Big companies such as Bass Pro use various manufacturers and have their own contacts in China to produce their name brands. You might have noticed the significant increase over the years in Bass Pro brand items. That is due to the fact that they make more profit off their own goods, than selling others. As far as quality, just because something is made in the same factory as a quality name brand product, it doesnt mean they are using the same components or quality of components. They just have the facilities to make that type of product.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have a couple of BPS Bionic Blade spinning rods but they are at least 15 years old. I love them. They are excellent for throwing Gotcha plugs. I believe the old ones were made in either USA or Korea. Alot of tackle use to be manufactured in Korea until China took over everything.

My bet is that the current models are made in China.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I've seen a lot of this stuff and you guys seem to be right. I haven't read anything on this thread that I could disagree with. That says something right there. I'm not as familar with Cabelas house brands but there are some pretty good rods in the BPS line. Their rod designers earn their money. You can get pretty good value for your money with their better rods. The cheap ones are just that.... you might find one among those that fits your needs if you aren't asking for much. I've not paid a lot of attention to their reels as I can buy the name brands cheaper than dirt. I just can't get enough of them to meet the demand. The bps reels fall in the "other" category on the market I sell on. They won't bring any premium over any other Chinese made reels.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The BPS "house brand" spinning reels that I have are excellent reels but again, they are 15+ years old. I have the Pro-Series and I haven't had a minutes trouble with them. Earlier this year I lost the little threaded cap that covers the side that the reversable handle is not screwed into. I called BPS and even though those old models were discontinued the person that I had talked to did some digging and called me back and told me she found a couple of spares in their shop. She mailed them to me. I was amazed at that level of customer service.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
The one downside that I've often heard about house brand reels is parts availability and service. Apparently a lot of local shops won't/can't service BPS reels and parts, while Abus, Daiwas, Penns, Shimanos, etc... can be serviced in lots of places. I guess more an issue for higher priced stuff (not many folks are going to spend $30 to fix a $20 reel), but that gets back to the heart of the matter and whether the house brands are a good value.

I've heard both good and bad stories from BPS mail-in reel service, no personal experience tho. The one time I wanted to get one serviced I decided it was more cost effective to replace it than to ship it in for service ($15 shipping & diagnostics + unknown $$ in parts & labor == don't bother fixing a $40 reel)...

·
Registered
608 Posts
That is pretty impressive customer service. Reel repair guys have limited space and $ to carry inventory to fix every reel. So they tend to carry stuff to fix major brands. As it was pointed out, will you pay $20 to fix a $30 reel. Also remember, that some of these arent designed. You (they) can send a buyer over to China on a trip, and tour factories to see products they already have available, make some minor adjustments throw on your logo and you have a name brand reel (or rod). Daiwa does make some stuff for others and they have taken the market by storm with good value (inexpensive) reels. China is getting more expensive, believe it or not, and they are already starting to look at other places to build manufacturing operations that are cheaper.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the bassmaster reels are made by pflugher. i have several they are excatly the same as pflughers trion reels at about 1/2 the cost.. if i buy a bps reel i always get the "extreme" it is made by diawa and at $50 it is a lot cheaper than a diawa by a long shot..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
608 Posts
Only a few things left in fishing tackle. And even the 'new' company US Reels that came out last year with the long distance casting spool....are even made in China.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm pretty sure Newell and Accurate reels are still us made. Penn International series reels were still being made in Pa. the last I heard. St. Croix and Lamniglas rods are still making rods in the US. Rainshadow is making rod blanks here also. I'm not sure if they make a complete rod or not. Although ABU sent some of their production to China, I think most of their reels are still being made in Sweden. If you buy a cheap ABU you might want to check out it's origin. Shimano makes some of their reels in Malaysia. They are much better made than most other reels though. Breakaway surf rods are made in USA with Rainshadow blanks. I'm not sure if any of the Falcon rods are being made overseas. All of mine say USA. I think Allstar still makes at least some of their rods here. I have had a couple of Chinese Allstars. Currently all of mine say USA. The cheaper Tica rods are made in China. I'm not sure about their Dolphin line. Every Oakuma product I've looked at was made in China. Diawa Regal I series is China the Z series Thailand (last I bought). Same for the SLX 30 SHV. Shimano Speedmasters and Stradics were still being made in Japan when I got mine.
According to what I see Diawa and Shimano buys their entry level reels from China and makes their mid range reels in Thailand and Malaysia. Their best reels are from Japan. Their mid range reels are plenty good enough for all but the pickiest of anglers. Their top end reels represent the state of the art.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Just to add a few. Ardent reels are made in the US. All Falcon rods are made in Oklahoma. Falcon took over the old Lew's Speedstik factory. If anyone cares to remember that far back. I won't swear to but as for Abu I beleive they're all from china now. Pure Fishing rods and reels are manufactured by Omoto Tackle in China. Shimano does still make their best products in Japan and as Sinker stated some come from Malaysia. However, their TLD models are now coming from China but Shimano still has the best quality control in the industry, IMO.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had never used a Shimano until I came to NCAngler. Now I love them! Even the low end units are worth the $$ compared to others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.