NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how or if everyone else splits the cost of a fishing trip with your fishing buddy. There's gas for the truck, gas for the boat, ice, drinks, ramp fee, bait. I normally leave it up to who ever is with me if they want to chip in or not, but its starting to get expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like anything half would be nice but if you were going regardless, pitching in for gas for the truck & boat and ramp fees wouldn't be mandatory because you have those anyway, however; pitching in for food, ice, drinks etc would be the polite thing to do since that is likely doubled with another person.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I never expect nor ask unless it is a big trip like offshore and we have discussed it beforehand and I expect to at least pay 1/2 the fuel etc. If I go with someone, I expect to pay something. I try to address that before we meet so I can bring things or if they are the "nah its fine I got it" type they get some cash at the end of the day anyway. If I invite you I do not expect anything but the gesture is nice, and mentally noted for next time...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Depends on the situation. Heres a few ways I go about it. For me in most cases, its bring your own stuff to eat, drink and fish with. I always have ice in my cooler and it is perfered that the non boater not bring a bulky cooler, when I ride with someone I typically put my stuff in a plastic sack and put it in their cooler.

Fun fishing/prefish day- Usually people who fun fish with me are boaters and we just trade trips, a day in my boat for a day in yours. If you cant trade a trip, atleast offering gas money is the thing to do sometimes I will accept, sometimes decline but atleast offer. $20-40 is about right for the average fishing day on a reservoir. In the past I have had co-anglers that would practice with me the day before the BFLs, one of them always let me stay at his lake house so I never accepted gas money from him (in my mind I was coming out way ahead). Also helped out my tourny partner one year when he was out of work and fishing the BFLs as a co, I never took gas money from him. Having him in the boat doing different things would help me out and I was fishing anyways.

Team Tournament- Whoevers boat we use, nonboater pays the full entry fee or 1/2 plus gas (depends on cost) and we split all winnings right down the middle (place money, big fish money, contingency bonus). If it were an out of town event, we would also split the cost of a room right down the middle.

Draw tournament- The non boater should offer gas money $20-40 depending on the lake. Helping with launch and loading procedures if able is also appreciated. If you cant or arent comfortable backing a trailer just be honest.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
It'll work out in the wash or it's a one off, two off thing. I gladly host other fisherman who can "show me how it's done" ....... knowledge is worth a lot(compared to guide fees + tips).

I'm always much less worried about whether someone gets "even" with me than I am whether I'm paying my share. A good fishing buddy will do their best to keep up in one way or the other, doesn't take too many trips to figure out if someone is that kind of person or not. If it gets to the point that you have to specifically ask you got the wrong guy on the boat.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I wish we were always more up front about expectations. A lot of times people come along when invited that would not have come if they knew what it cost and had to pay. A regular fishing buddy is another story, but not really if you get back to my original point - if you would just be clear about it up front and asked if they want to split costs and come fish then it would not be an issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So since this threads come up.....anyone willing to take me out as a back seater??? I'll pay half ;)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
So since this threads come up.....anyone willing to take me out as a back seater??? I'll pay half ;)
I don't lake fish for LMB but do a bit of crappie, white bass and striper fishing as well as play around inshore a bit. I'm sure we can find a date to wet a hook together.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Fished a bit with a fella years ago that insisted on paying 1/2 ... exactly 1/2. It was like dealing with the IRS. How can you have a good time fishing if you're gathering receipts and calculating how much each minnow costs? As long as everyone makes an effort it's all good. Bums ain't no fun but who needs a dang spreadsheet for a fishing trip? Fun x 2 = twice as much fun!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My regular fishing partner pays for everything. He says since it's my boat and we use my truck to pull it, he'll take care of all other expenses. Guess I've got it pretty good.
I try to do more than half if somebody else is driving the truck or providing the boat for this exact reason. If they didn't buy the boat, the insurance, tags, taxes, maintenance, etc., I wouldn't have a buddy to take me fishing. The down side is there is usually and argument cause they say I don't owe them that much.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts