NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking about filetting fish, and an older gentleman I work with said that he had a 40-50 year old filet knife that he used to love. He no longer fishes, so he gave it to me.

Apparently, they sold 40 million of these in the last 50 years.

Yep... The Rapala Marttiini filet knife.

This is the old style, with wood handle, and brass on the end. And the engraving is early as well, with just the Finland. Later ones said Hard ground stainless, or swedish.... The new ones, I hear are made in China (shocking).

It's at least as good as the $20 filet knife I bought at Neuse Sport shop a couple of years ago. This one really takes a good edge.

Now I need to get out there and see how it cuts fish!

Finland.jpg

·
Red X Angler
2,479 Posts
My Father-in-law has that same knife and sheath, and still uses it. Me, Ill stick with my Bubba Blade... :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was talking about filetting fish, and an older gentleman I work with said that he had a 40-50 year old filet knife that he used to love. He no longer fishes, so he gave it to me.

Apparently, they sold 40 million of these in the last 50 years.

Yep... The Rapala Marttiini filet knife.

This is the old style, with wood handle, and brass on the end. And the engraving is early as well, with just the Finland. Later ones said Hard ground stainless, or swedish.... The new ones, I hear are made in China (shocking).

It's at least as good as the $20 filet knife I bought at Neuse Sport shop a couple of years ago. This one really takes a good edge.

Now I need to get out there and see how it cuts fish!

View attachment 63883
Biglen,
I've had several of those. Great knives IMHO. Hold and edge and easy to maintain a shaving edge. A little flemsy on larger fish like 20+ in drum rib bones careful you dont run it thru your hand if it slips, but awesome on flounder, smaller drum and panfish (crappie, bream, etc.) I have a small i use as a neck knife and the larger 8" for filleting. Hard to beat for 25 bucks or less.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Think I got 2 or 3 of them laying around. One from probably 1990ish and the other about 2005.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
I had a primo Wusthoff filet knife for 20 years that I lost on Cape Lookout a few years ago. Broke my heart as it was a gift from my late mother. That was some premium german steel. You can buy them now starting at around $35 but you can spend $120 on one too. I bet that $35 number will put a rapala to shame. Be interested if anyone on here owns one....

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Silve...405607651&sr=1-3&keywords=wusthof+filet+knife

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I never filetted a fish until the last few years. My folks never filleted they said it was wasting meat and the taste of fried fish was better on the bone. I am still perfecting it, but I know a good knife makes ALL the difference!!

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
A flounder is usually about all that I will keep too. Well, except for bull bream and nice crappie. My girls don't like dealing with the bones so a good filet knife is essential. Drumchaser, do you use the 4 filet per flounder technique to keep from wasting meat? It's a slower process for me but you can see through that flattie afterwards.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I have one just like that, but the handle has rotted. Trying to find some material to make another handle out of. This knife would be over 40 years old. I may have another one, but not sure if the same writing is on the blade. I also got the leather sheath soaked a few times over the years.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback.... I'm hoping to give it an initial workout next week, but I used it to clean jumbo shrimp the other night just to check it out....What a difference it made compared to my normal kitchen knife, and it felt more responsive and "alive" than the filet knife I already had.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I have one just like that, but the handle has rotted. Trying to find some material to make another handle out of. This knife would be over 40 years old. I may have another one, but not sure if the same writing is on the blade. I also got the leather sheath soaked a few times over the years.
Bring it to me at BayRiver and I will make you one over the winter.

Darrell

·
Registered
395 Posts
Have one that's probably 20 years old. I have other, newer filet knives, but this is my go to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts